Skip to main content
Topic: my personal wish list (Read 12038 times) previous topic - next topic

my personal wish list

Hi again ...

here and there I managed to  gather some peoples views about  several things they had wished for.
but since I can't brows the actual "Wish List",
I gathered my wish list for you people to tell me if there's something left for me to submit
to the actual wish list.

maybe some of the things here are already in place and implemented and it is just
me who don't know how to use them ...
I know that some of the thing has, at least, a partial way to go around them.
but this is a wish list ... or at list the draft of it ...

another idea is that maybe some of those things, if implemented, would even damage some consepts of working with NWC,but, again, these are just sujestions.

because this will turn out to be such a long message -
I forced myself to make do with only one line for each wish, otherwise I don't think anyone would read it...
but, of course, if someone wants me to ellaborate on any of them - I'll gladly do so.

thanks .

1)  mark triplets on several bars

2)  improove the midi import to triplets

3)  to change the direction of which the 3th mark is written ( down or above)

4)  to allow a triplet (like 3 quarters) in concurrent with a "duo" (like 2 quarters) on the same staff.

5)  to influence the whay in which grace notes are played

6)  keep lyrics hidden - but not deleted.

7)  to allow lyrics edditing on the score itself.

8)  to allow lowering or raising a specific word in the lyrics, when it hides a note.

9)  to enable marking and manipulating several notes of different length

10) to allow deleting of the second note in a tie without the tie going crazy on me ...

11) to allow for chords where the edges are of the same length and the middle is shorter.

12) to delete a rest within a chord without having to delete the whole chord.

13) somewhere I remember seeing a slur within a slur ...

14) transffer between clefs to be more automatic.

15) to allow prefferences in the "enharmonic spelling" tool - this is so important.

16) for several specialy written helpful flats and sharps not to be deleted after applying the
"enharmonic spelling" or the "audit accidentals" tools.

17) a tool for merging staffs.

18) a tool to compare two staffs.

19) for tools (like "transpose" or "MPC:pitch" ) to work on the whole score/channels at once.

20) to change all my previous written tempo to be played faster or slower.

21) to change all my previous written dynamics to be played stronger or weaker.

22) to change the volume of a long note durring its performence.

23) to allow me in any point on the staff, maybe within the right click -> staff properties,
to know in what tempo and volume am I at this point.

24) to allow zooming for every size ( I can do 4,6 and 8 - but I can't do a 5 and a 7 )

25) in the score review - it will be much helpful, for me at least,
to see the NAME of the instrument instead of some patch number.

26) to allow marking of distinct fragmented segments of a staff at once
( like the Ctrl and the Ctrl+Shift in windows exploreer )

27) to copy a staff - but just the dynamics - without the notes.
(this may sounds redicolous - but I found it can be quite usefull if applyed)

28) I couldn't find marks like "Andante" and "Allegro". is it possible there arn't ?

finaly - this is something regarding the "NW Player" :
29) can it be set to start playing from any point and not just from start ?

Re: my personal wish list

Reply #1
Wow!  Quite a list.  Most of them are very good wishes too.  However, you invited comments, so here goes:

(where I haven't commented, please take it as a "good idea" sort of comment)

4) to allow a triplet (like 3 quarters) in concurrent with a "duo" (like 2 quarters) on the same staff.

This is easily done using layered staffs.  I would think that getting it to work on a single staff could be tricky.

How would you actually enter a group such as triplet quarters played simultaneously with two standard quarters?

e.g. first enter three quarters and make them a triplet.  Then chord a full quarter with the first quarter of the triplet - how would NWC know that that is a full quarter rather than a tripleted quarter?  You will need another button somewhere to say this is a tripleted/full quarter.

or:  first enter two quarters.  Then chord a tripleted quarter with the first of these.  Again, how would NWC know that this is a tripleted quarter?

I suspect that implementing this could lead to the currently simple NWC entry method becoming awfully clunky.

9) to enable marking and manipulating several notes of different length.

I'm not sure what you are asking for here.  You can already select consecutive notes with different length.  Once they are selected you can:

a) halve or double the note values (+ and - keys)

b) add an accedental to all the notes.

c) set the stem direction

d) make them all into grace notes

e) add a staccato, tenuto, accent or dot to all the notes

f) move them up or down the staff (cntrl/shift up or down arrow)

What other sort of manipulation are you hoping for?

10) to allow deleting of the second note in a tie without the tie going crazy on me ...

The current behaviour seems reasonable to me.  The tie "belongs" to the first note and extends as far as the next note with the same staff position.  I can live with this.

11) to allow for chords where the edges are of the same length and the middle is shorter.

This can be achieved with layered staffs.

14) transffer between clefs to be more automatic.

Please can you explain more fully what you are asking for.  Currently to move notation from one staff to another the process goes: Select, cut, paste.  It is difficult to see how any part of that could be automated without removing too much user control.

15) to allow prefferences in the "enharmonic spelling" tool - this is so important.

Do you mean the "Audit Enharmonic Spelling Command"?  Even so, I am not sure what you are asking for here.

Quote from NWC help:  "This command is used to audit all of the note spelling on the staff. All note pitchesd, including individual members of a chord, will be compared to the note pitches contained within the key signature. If a note pitch can be spelled within the key signature, then the audit will change the spelling of the note such that it is in the key signature. If the note requires an accidental, the spelling of the note will favor sharps for key signatures that contain sharps, or flats for key signatures that contain flats. "

I must admit, I have never really seen the point of this tool.

Are you asking for a facility to keep all C#s as C#s when you audit the spellings and the key is D minor (1 flat)? i.e. sharpened leading notes.  Audit accidentals does much the same as the enharmonic spelling tool in removing superfluous accidentals (such as a flat on a B in the above case) but retains other accidentals as written.

16) for several specialy written helpful flats and sharps not to be deleted after applying the
"enharmonic spelling" or the "audit accidentals" tools.

I guess we need a "curtesy accidental" tool that we can apply to a particular note so that the accidental is always displayed even where it is not formally required.

19) for tools (like "transpose" or "MPC:pitch" ) to work on the whole score/channels at once.

I find these much more useful used on single staffs and I would not like to lose this facilty.  Perhaps we need a "Master" transpose/MPC command.

22) to change the volume of a long note durring its performence.

This works already - if your sound card can do it, not all can.

Dynamics in NWC by default affect only the velocity of the note which only really relates to percussive instruments - piano for example - where once you have hit the note, you can't then change the dynamic on a real instrument.  However, NWC does allow you to do this using a volume or expression MPC.

Alternatively you can overide the default volume used by the dynamic marking and then vary the volume using a cresc. or dim. marking.  This will vary the volume during the duration of the note.

If you want a swell (increase followed by decrease in volume) on a single note, then you are stuck with MPCs or you need to split the single note in two and use the second method above on the two halves.

23) to allow me in any point on the staff, maybe within the right click -> staff properties,
to know in what tempo and volume am I at this point.

... and which key, which clef, whether any MPCs are active and which bar number and maybe the name of the staff, the vertical size and the midi channel if there is room.

27) to copy a staff - but just the dynamics - without the notes.
(this may sounds redicolous - but I found it can be quite usefull if applyed)

A sort of "paste special" which allows the choice of which elements to paste.

28) I couldn't find marks like "Andante" and "Allegro". is it possible there arn't ?

Insert Tempo allows you to write your own.  Otherwise, if you don't want a numerical tempo marking, you can insert a text expression.

Here's hoping.

Stephen

Reply #2
I would like an easy way of having a bar line join notes on two differing staffs -  for example whre a run starts in the bass clef and runs up into the treble clef,

Reply #3
Re wish number 6) keep lyrics hidden - but not deleted.

You can already do this with a workaround.

Complete the notation of your music on the staff.  Copy all of it to a new, second staff.  Set the staff properties of the second staff to lines, 0, ending bar open, staff muted, layer with next staff.  Set note properites of all elements (notes, rests, bar lines, etc.) to visibility = never.

Use this second staff for your lyrics.  Each word or syllable of the lyrics will appear when there is a note to anchor it to, even though that note is invisible.

When you want to see lyrics, display this second staff; when you don't want to see the lyrics, use page setup to hide this staff.  For convenience, you should probably mute this second staff as well.

Reply #4
Re wish "7) to allow lyrics editing on the score itself."

There's a workaround for the single raised word, but it's a little awkward.  You need two lyric staffs, one as outlined in my message above, and the second with only one note, placed where you want the raised word.

In the first lyric staff, replace the word you want to raise with an underscore.  The next word will then be placed at the next note.

Reply #5
Re 15) to allow preferences in the "enharmonic spelling" tool - this is so important.

Agreed.  To a certain extent, you can achieve this using the transpose tool instead.  The transpose value should be zero, and then you can set your new key signature preferences.

I tested this idea on a key signature of Db major, and it transposed successfully to C# major.

Reply #6
17) a tool for merging staffs.
18) a tool to compare two staffs.

17 can be achieved with layering in many cases, but not all - there will be some conflicts in stem direction.

18 is best done by playback of the two staffs.  Make sure the instrument voicings are different, and just listen.  You will need a soundcard, but I think you have one.

You may get a growl of some sort where the harmony is too close - i.e., a half-tone apart - so this is a good way to detect entry errors.

Reply #7
20) to change all my previous written tempo to be played faster or slower.

It would be nice to be able to change all of these in one step, but in the meantime, to make it a little easier to work within the existing program, use a separate staff as a "conductor" staff.  Fill it with hidden rests, but put all your tempo markings on it.

Place it at the top of the score, and layer it. Allow layering when it's time to print, disable layering when you want to modify the tempos.

Reply #8
As a final comment, Ori, you have made some very good suggestions and requests here.  NWC will undoubtedly take them into consideration, although Eric and his staff might not adopt all of them.

I support most of your suggestions, as well as the comments/suggestions by Stephen and Tony.

Keep it up, and happy new year.

Reply #9
Hi.

I see where this seems to be going, so I'll just add this :

I think I know quite a bit of going way around some problems using other means - but again -
this is a WISH LIST people !!!

I know some things can be achieved using less handy ways, for example ... yes ...  layering ...
been there done it. but layering has its own problems
(will you just look at the stems and beems ... )

OK.

so, people, keep on writing your comments

C U BYE
Ori

Reply #10
Wishing all of you a happy new year :)

Reply #11
i've just downloaded the trial version of nwc i have'nt even looked at the program yet. i dont understand anything of what you are saying can anyone give me a tip on how to start

Reply #12
ive just realised you are in a different time zone i have had my new year 4 hours ago
so to everyone who are still in 2003 happy new year!!!!!

Reply #13
So what part of the world are you in, Joe?  I'm on the west coast of Canada, and we're just 3/4 of an hour into '04 now.

Happy new year right back at you.

To start, go to File, New, and select the appropriate format - I suggest starting with a blank score.

Press C to select a clef, press G to select a time signature, press Tempo to select the speed.

A note is entered with the enter key if you wish to use the keyboard.  Use the up and down arrows to get to the right position on the staff, then select the note value, then press enter.  If you want a rest instead, press space.

Note and rest values are 1 = whole note, 2= half note, 3= quarter note, 4=eighth, 5=sixteenth, 6=thirtysecond.

Accidentals are created with the 7 (natural), 8 (flat) and 9 (sharp).

A bar line is created with the tab key.

This should get you started.  The help feature is useful, and if you get stuck, come back to the forum and someone will help you.

Reply #14
just checking if I can add a link ...
well, after all, this is my message, and other people -
not so politely, used it anyway for out of context messages anyway ...

here goes :

go http://www.altavista.com/

ok

Reply #15
Since this is about wishes, and also has many comments on layering, let me express where layering is excellent, and also items to add to the "layering wish list."

Layering, when one staff has notes stem-up, the other stem-down:
1. Works well when the higher note is stem up, and the lower note is stem down, and the notes are more than 1 step apart.
2. Needs an easy work-around when the lower note is stem up, and the higher note is stem down, or opposite stemmed notes are only one step apart (adjacent line and space): Add extra note spacing for the stem up note.

Layering, when both staffs have notes in the same direction
1. Works well with quarter (or longer) notes when the notes are more than one step apart in pitch, and not so far apart that the stem "breaks" between notes.
2. Unacceptable for flagged or beamed notes when the corresponding notes are different pitches. Two layered non-beamed eighth notes can look like sixteenths when the flags do not exactly superimpose. When differently pitched beamed notes correspond, the beams look like... (bad) Wish: For layered staffs, adjust corresponding same-direction stem lengths to align the flags or beams.
3. Unacceptable when the corresponding notes are only one step apart (i.e. adjacent line and space). Wish: reverse one notehead in this case.

Wish summary: treat the display of layered staffs as if the corresponding notes were part of a chord on a single staff.

Reply #16
Note that I am not part of the NoteWorthy team, and what I am writing here is my own understanding and may not be exactly official policy.  I trust in Eric & Co. to correct any of my errors.

Just a small suggestion.  While NoteWorthy people (as well as noteworthy people) read this forum "wishes" are only registered when submitted via the "wishlist" page on the NoteWorthy site:

http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/composer/wishlist.php
NoteWorthy Composer Wish Submission Form

There is a firm and longstanding policy that the wishlist is NOT open to inspection.  This for a number of reasons, including (but not limited to): keeping people from not posting a wish just because someone else has, thus skewing the statistics against the wish; and not raising hopes for additions, which are never (or almost never) pre-announced -- no vapor-ware here.  There is, however a "wishes granted" page.

So -- everybody, run to the wish list and have your wants counted!

PS I agree with a number of them, though some of my pet wishes are not in the list.

Reply #17
William !

Layering is for one thing ...
or for meny other purposes ...

but for what you just described - a more suitable way is to deal with by a "merge" tool.

I added this to my "draft list" ...

bye

Reply #18
...this is my message, and other people - not so politely, used it anyway for out of context messages anyway ...

happens all the time
just ignore it, or accept it

and get in the habit of clicking
Preview
before clicking
Submit
it will show all of your spelling errors so that you can fix 'em

Reply #19
Thinks. Spiel chickens rally grate.

Reply #20
Hi people !

I read what you had said and wrote a new updated wish list.
please, if you want to add something - go there and don't add anything here.

thanks.
Ori