Skip to main content
Topic: Putting a little swing into the thing (Read 4200 times) previous topic - next topic

Putting a little swing into the thing

I'm not sure if this issue has been ever brought up, or if anyone has even thought of this. What would be the chances of activating some sort of "Swing feature" whereby two eighth notes could automatically be played as a quarter note and an eighth note in the times of two eighth notes.

I do not believe that this feature has been implimented in any other sequencers. If NoteWorthy Composer were to have this feature, it would be a great deal (what a price!) for the swing set.

Just thought I'd swing by.

Re: Putting a little swing into the thing

Reply #1
Mozart is the only shareware program that I have tried that automates "swing". However, IMO, it falls way short in other areas in comparison to NoteWorthy.

NoteWorthy is a MUCH better product for the money.

Paul

Reply #2
F'rinstance, Mozart (when I tested it - asked for my money back and ordered Noteworthy instead) couldn't do polyphony in a staff.

ABC (a VERY non-Wysiwyg program) allows you to allocate timing ratios to beats. Say, 13:11:12 for triplets, 3:2 for lazy duplets, 3:1 for more strident swing, 2:1 for tripletty swings. This sort of feature would be FANTASTIC, allowing us to make much more realistic sounding music, esp if we can modify it on the fly.

Andrew

Reply #3
There is another program which implements swing excellently to a variety of degrees!

However, hold onto your pockets and purseslads and lasses because it'll set ya back

£700
£700
£700
£700
£700
£700
£700
£700
£700

Yes, babyloves £700, it's called Sibelius, every musicians dream, apart from Noteworthy whihch is heaven on Earth, I hope the wish list is achieved!

PS I know loads about Sibelius so contact me if you want to know more!

Reply #4
I bumped intothe same problem when trying to play back a standard 4/4 score with a 12/8 section in one of the voices. My workaround was to write it all in as 12/8, then tripletting three and three of the eights to perform well under 4/4 playback. It sorta sounds like swing!

Reply #5
I think I requested this two years ago. If you have different time signatures on different staves, then compound times should mesh with simple times, and not with note values. i.e crotchet = dotted crotchet, rather than quarter note = quarter note. More grist to the wishlist mill please!

Reply #6
I'd like to say that this is feasible since the earlier versions of NWC.
Save 700£ ! ;-) Go and see at #http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/composer/usertip6.htm#jazz and you'll know anything about this. With small effort, you can do rubato triplets with 11/36+13/36+12/36 proportions if you want. If you find the current solution not enough, I can write a small program (or XL shett but I'd prefer not) to let you know automatically the currect values to set.

Pleeeeaaaase do not hesitate to contact me for further details (since I got an internet access back).

Sure this helps

MAD

Reply #8
I think we are talking about two different things, or at least looking at different solutions to the same problem.

My request was for different time signatures on two staves simultaneously. One work round for this would be to have a 'false' time signature and then tripletise the whole staff but it would be nice then to make the triplet signs invisible.

That brings me onto a wider wish - that all elements should be visible/invisible at will.

Particularly:

Legato at the start of a piece so that the performance is correct, but most of the time the actual marking is inappropriate.

Dynamics etc on multiple staves when normally only one indication would be necessary.

Triplets and staccatto markings are normally replaced by 'simile' after a couple of bars.

Octavo Clef signs could get round the lack of a proper 8va implemetation, with a text only 8va marking.

Rests could be used for empty bars in Staff Layering.

Yours in hope
Peter

Reply #9
Peter,
I admit that I was answering just the 4 first items of this thread (before it leaded to 12/8+4/4).
Though there is a solution to your problem too, but very tedious for now (until it is possible to set "invisible" property to items... add a wish ?) I used for a printed score libretto. Only for visual purpose, not sound. For sound the subject was already discussed (and solved I guess) in earlier threads. Get the offline forum and search thoroughly :-)

The solution (or rather turnaround) is to add items (rests or notes) on the "shortest measure" score to make bar lines (and beats) align properly. Add these items *off* the score (I mean under or over), so you will be able to hide them when you print the score.
To do this, you'll have to import the score from the previez window, as .wmf format or directly via clipboard, and either remove the excessing(?) items, either putting a white bitmap over them.
I told you this is tedious. I made this because I had to use a word-processing program anyway, for insierting pictures in my printed pages.

please Let me know if you find this useful, or if someone finds a better way (for now)... :-)

NWCly yours,
                    MAD