Skip to main content
Topic: Dynamic Variances not working! (Read 4171 times) previous topic - next topic

Dynamic Variances not working!

Whenever I try to use a crescendo, decrescendo, or diminuendo, it doesn't work! I've tried to use MPC's, but they don't go higher than 127, which is still pretty soft.

Re: Dynamic Variances not working!

Reply #1
127 is very loud. Perhaps you should turn up your volume control ;-)

Reply #2
127 is the loudest possible setting for MIDI volume and velocity. If you still get soft play back, Peter's suggestion is the answer: check the volume on your speakers, as well as in your system's volume mixer.

Reply #3
Actually, if I add an fff dynamic, it sounds a lot louder than a 127 value...

Reply #4
Check that everywhere you have a cresc/decresc etc, you also have a dynamic inserted before and after the variance instruction. If your last instruction is pp followed later by a cresc. and the next dynamic you insert is also pp, then the cresc instruction won't have any effect.

Reply #5
Don't forget that the Expression MPC can also control the "loudness". Personally, I think Expression is much better than Volume or Velocity for crescendo/decrescendo because it is relative to the Volume and Velocity. In other words, if my flute soundfont is louder than yours, I can lower the Volume on that track to keep things in balance without affecting the Expression.

Reply #6
Hi, Tim !

I was asking in another place how an MPC expression could effect the volume and how can I achive that  -
but didn't got an answer.
could you please elaborate on the subject ?

thanks

Reply #7
I will briefly try to explain it better. This all relates to an individual track, not the entire midi. Volume is the highest level of control and generally should be used similar to a Volume control on a radio. Everything on the track following a Volume change will be affected. Velocity is similar to dynamic markings. p, mp, mf, ff, etc.,  all change the velocity of a note, and all notes that follow. Expression is used similar to crescendo, decrescendo, swells, etc.

I generally set the Volume at the beginning of each track to 100, either with an MPC or in the F2 properties, and never bother with it again, unless I have a very dramatic section where I raise it to 127 with an MPC temporarily.

I rarely use a Velocity MPC since Noteworthy takes care of it for me when I use a dynamic marking. If there are moving notes, you can get a good crescendo (or decrescendo) with Noteworthy by using a beginning dynamic marking followed by a "dynamic variance" of "cresc." and placing the ending dynamic in the proper place. It won't work for long sustained notes. You should use Expression for that as well as fp effects.

So, the Expression MPC is the one I use the most. I usually set the style to "linear sweep" with a sweep resolution of 1 for smooth changes in expression. You should set the dynamic to the loudest value you want to attain prior to the Expression MPC, (this can be hidden for printing) and be sure you reset the Expression to some default value (100 or 127) after a decrescendo or everything following it will probably be too quiet.