Skip to main content
Topic: Beaming notes together with opposite stems (Read 6400 times) previous topic - next topic

Beaming notes together with opposite stems

I was just wondering.......
Is there any way to fake the appearance of two eighth or sixteenth notes that are beamed together but but have both parts with separate stem directions - especially if doing this on the piano from the bass staff connecting to the treble staff (or the other way around)?
And one more thing...
How can you beam over rests and bars?

Re: Beaming notes together with opposite stems

Reply #1
Short answer for NWC1.75: No, and no.

Reply #2
Doesn't the current version of NWC (with all of the web updates) allow for beaming across a rest?
As for beaming across a bar line, insert a fake bar line as a text item and the beaming will work.
And notes that are beamed together but but have both parts with different stem directions - that's real hard.  So hard that it's easier to do than to explain in text - wish I could draw pictures here.  And the result is far from perfect.
I hope it's on the wish list...

Reply #3
You can beam over rests. You cannot beam over bar lines.

Reply #4
Ah, my short answer was deceptively wrong. As was explained above, NWC1.75 Does beam over rests, but not "rests and bars" (unless the bar line is textual). Sorry about my mis-reading. :(

Reply #5
so the bar line i use has to be text....
ok, two things. 1. Is there a font for bar lines - which one is it? and 2. web updates? where do I go to get the ability to beam over rests with the updates

Reply #6
1  I believe the user font you need is called Notes.  Lower case L will give you a bar line.  Otherwise, just download and install various user fonts from the Scriptorium until you find one that has what you need.

2  If you're using version 1.75a, you can beam over a rest that is contained within the beamed group.  This was added in version 1.75.  Select the range of notes and rests you need to beam, and use Ctrl-B.  You can't extend the beam to a rest at the beginning or end of the group, but I'm not sure why you'd want to.

Reply #7
You can't extend the beam to a rest at the beginning or end of the group, but I'm not sure why you'd want to.
There is a "modern" notational practice of beaming all four eighths of each half of a measure in 4/4, and likewise all four sixteenths of each beat, regardless of whether the eighth/sixteenth in question is a note or a rest.  This practice, though not widespread, is helpful when the music gets rhythmically complicated.  I just finished playing a Malcolm Arnold symphony which could have benefitted from this type of notation.
Well, I could have benefitted from it anyway...

Reply #8
ok, I see. Actually, I'm using the plain old 1.75 (not knowing what the difference of that and 1.75a is), but I just found another way to do it from some other message that I saved and forgot to read... It was doing it with layered staves-------------------------------------------------------??????????????????????????????
never mind... Hopefully the new version will come out soon because though NoteWorthy is a very good program, there are just some things that it still needs................................................................................!!!!!!!!!!!