Skip to main content
Topic: voice (Read 3995 times) previous topic - next topic

voice

[Editor's note: Refer to https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=3845 for the start of this topic]

... and I haven't gone to any music schools, I haven't done anything to train my voice, I've just been singing at home (now on stage) since I was born.
As you can tell, I don't know much about operas and voices and stuff, I sing rock music (without hurting my voice).
I have asked some of my friends in choir, they said I have a very wide octave and they also said I have to take some singing lessons in order to learn definetely whether I'm a soprano or not.
Since, I'm singing rock, don't know how to sing operas and I haven't took any singing lessons, I don't know at which notes I sound the clearest. I just feel comfortable singing in alto and mezzosoprano range. People who hear my voice say I'm either a mezzosoprano or an alto since I sing mostly male songs and Skunk Anansie as only female vocal.That's all I know about my voice and that it's 4 octaves.
I actually have more questions;
How can I keep my low notes and go even lower? Once, I stretched my voice up to 5 octaves but I don't know how I did it and it only happened once.
Doesn't the color of the voice have anything to do while determining if someone is a soprano, mezzosoprano, tenor, bass... etc.?

Re: voice

Reply #1
I suggest listen to your friends and go for singing lessons. Your teacher will help you find your best range, and suggest which category you fall into - this is not the best place to ask an opinion on something we can't hear.

Reply #2
ses,  Ann and your friends are right - go to a teacher.  But not just to find out what voice type you are, but to make sure you're not damaging your voice.  You've said
I can go very easily to E below mid C even if I have hurt my voice.  Because your range appears to be so large, you could also be doing damage even if it doesn't physically hurt.  Such a range isn't typical, so your production method is more likely to be atypical, and the chances that you're causing damage are greater.  Remember, you only get one voice - if you break it, you can't just buy another one.

I'd recommend going to your nearest conservatorium/university/college where there are people who train voice teachers.  They will know someone who can teach you properly, or you might even want to enrol in a course, if there's a suitable one.  Beware, there are a few teachers teaching privately who really don't know what's good for a voice.

You're right that the colour (or timbre) of the voice determines the vocal type.  There is such a strong match between colour and range that it's commonly, but wrongly, accepted that range determines the voice.

With your large range, it's possible that you've found an area that's most comfortable for your current technical ablility and production method.  This might be giving you a false perception about your voice type.

A good teacher will be able to help you find your correct timbre, and sort out your range.  You'll probably lose parts that are being produced dangerously.

But once you've found your true voice, it's so enjoyable, you'll wonder why you ever took so long.

Best wishes!

Reply #3
-
If my correlation between "ses" and "voice" is correct, then I can confirm that there are really decent singing teachers (amongst many crappy ones to avoid) in the area where "ses" possibily is from. ;) They're usually from conservatories but not essentially working/teaching at them.
_

Reply #4
Hey, thanks, Eric, for taking care of "The Scattered Thread."
It was really annoying.

Reply #5
i could sing really well before i got sick and the i got the flu. i did not lose my voice but now that i am better i cant sing the same or it seem that my voice has change and its not as high

Reply #7
What is with all the lower-case is?

Reply #8
he thinks he knows grammar, my precious