Skip to main content
Topic: voice (Read 3787 times) previous topic - next topic

voice

how can I learn if I'm a soprano, mezzosoprano or an alto? I have a voice range from A (very low for a female) to A (very high), about 4 scales and streches to 4 and a half scales...

Re: voice

Reply #1
I would say you are a soprano, ses.

A below middle C is not very low for a female. Altos should be able to go down to G easily with the occasional F and there is an Antiphon called "We wait for thy loving kindness o Lord" (if I remember the title correctly) which calls for the altos to produce a low E - I have it somewhere and will try to find out who the composer is.

Reply #2
Can't say that I know much about Sopranos - but it may be that the two of you are talking about pitch A in different octaves? Ann is evidently talking about A3 to A5. Did ses mean something different?

I would also distinguish between "making vocal sound at" a pitch, and singing intelligible words there.

Reply #3
-
"ses"..."voice"... hmm...
_

Reply #4
Definitely Soprano

Reply #5
If "scales" is meant to be "octaves" then I think what we've got here is a coloratura-soprano-profundo. This is a boon if you are going to audition for The Magic Flute. Just think - Sarastro could double as Queen of the Night.