Skip to main content
Topic: Placing rests between beamed notes (Read 4969 times) previous topic - next topic

Placing rests between beamed notes

I'm afraid that I know little about music but a friend of mine uses Noteworthy (who doesn't have internet access) and wants to ask if there is a way of getting rest symbols between notes when they are beamed.
He realises that beaming is not essential but apparently this is desirable for the music he writes and the people playing it.
Any help? Thanks.

Re: Placing rests between beamed notes

Reply #1
You can't put anything between beamed notes. Not even text,
which should make no difference.

Reply #2
You can put symbols between beamed notes if you can squeeze them in by inserting the text at the left of the beamed group and then using spaces to move the position of the text to the right

Reply #3
Thanks for your help. I will pass on your comments.

Reply #4
If you are interested only of appareance and there's only one staff in the score, you can use the font NWORN3, that has several music ornamental signs, incluiding rests,and it's downloadable from NWC scriptorium.

Set it on one of the user fonts, and put a text expression,
consult what's the character for the rest that you want, insert it, and adjust the vertical offset (I suggest that toggle on Preserve Width).

I insist, it's only for appareance, because that rest is only a text expression and it has not duration...

Reply #5
You can beam over a rest in NWC 1 and NWC 2.  Seems to me the feature was added in the last year or so.

Reply #6
You can beam over a rest in NWC 1
Really?  I can't.
What am I doing wrong?

Reply #7
you can't on NWC 1

Reply #8
Yes, you can. Feature addition shown in NWC History.

Reply #9
Kiki and Christian, you need to check to see if you're running 1.75b or an earlier version.

If you're current, let us know what particular note grouping it is you're trying to make.

Reply #10
I'm running 1.75 - no b.
Can't believe I missed that update.
When was that (the NWC History has no dates...)?

Reply #11
See also:

news headline #19: Program Update: NoteWorthy Composer 1.75.9