Skip to main content
Topic: Audio to MIDI conversion? (Read 20545 times) previous topic - next topic

Audio to MIDI conversion?

Does anyone know of a software program that can take audio
input (or WAV file) and create a MIDI file from it that can then be taken in by NWC to get a score? I guess what I am looking for is a sort of OCR for audio.

Re: Audio to MIDI conversion?

Reply #1
Autoscore, www.wildcat.com does a very poor job for a single voice/instrument if that voice instrument is extremely accurate in pitch and duration. They now offer a 30 day money back (advertised as risk free but they get paid before shipping) trial of their product ($249 US). They used to have a demo but after people tried it - no sales.
Audio2Midi, www.audioworks.com, sounds about the same, haven't tried it, $118 US to download it.
Someday audio to code (MIDI) will exist if there is a real market for it, but ...

Reply #2
Jeff - If are looking to producing a score from a CD or .wav file the technology isn't there yet.
The best I've seen at an experimental stage has been done by a reseacher at Durham Univ. - UK I think.
The problem involves indentification and separation of the frequency components in the wave into discrete note frequencies for all instruments in the score.
Harmonics (partial frequencies) muddy the end result.
If you are interested find a copy of Spectrogram - try shareware.com - a freeware program that produces a frequency plot of a .wav file.
I have used this to identify chords on shot notes that are difficult to transcribe - you may have trouble reading the output though which is displayed on a log scale.

Reply #3
Many thanks. I'll wait on the technology to catch up.

Reply #4
AudioToMidi is a pretty good product for converting a solo instrument to midi. I wish it could transcribe pitch bending though. You can get a free demo from thier web sight.

Reply #6
Digital Ear are offering a commission on sales to anyone who will recommend their product on the web.

Readers should, perhaps, bear this in mind when considering recommendations for this software.

I would recommend downloading a demo first to see what it can do.

Reply #7
Audio Logic Gold
You Will Love Live

Reply #8
The URL for the free "Spectrogram" program is:

http://www.monumental.com/rshorne/gram.html

If you know what a spectrogram is, then you know what this program does, and does it well. But it is NOT a wav-to-MIDI converter. If you want to manually create a music file (say, by using NWC) and cannot tell by listening what note is being played at a given point in your wav file, Spectrogram can analyze the file for frequency components. What you do with that information is up to you. I believe that this technique would only be useful to experienced musicians who can usually analyze a recording by ear, and write the notes from it, but who need a little help.