Skip to main content
Topic: How to create a midi file from a hardward MIDI sequencer (Read 2768 times) previous topic - next topic

How to create a midi file from a hardward MIDI sequencer

I have an old Yamaha QX5 hardware sequencer with songs on it. I would like to figure a way to backup the songs to a midi format and the QX5 doesn't offer a reasonable way to do this i.e. QX5 midi out to PC (maybe using NC) then save as a midi file. Is this feasible? Thx, Jack

Re: How to create a midi file from a hardward MIDI sequencer

Reply #1
Unfortunately, this is one of those applications for which NWC is not (at this time) ideally suited, since it can't be synchronized to an external midi clock. In principle, though, you might be able to tweak the tempo of your "click track" to exactly match that of the sending synth. But it will be fiddly at best.

I've done a similar operation, importing a sequence from an old drum machine, by using Cubasis (the low-end version of Cubase). I believe that Cakewalk has a midi-clock synch option too.

Reply #2
I've never tried this Fred.
But would a MIDI monitor like MidiOx log the events coming through the MIDI Input port in Text format which could then be converted to a MIDI file using Txt>MIDI ?

Reply #3
Hm... never thought of that, and obviously haven't tried it either. But I can't see why it wouldn't work.

Another midi logger is provided by Jeff Glatt, as is a midi assembler/ disassembler. I would think that the text format would be more compatible between programs authored by the same person.

Reply #4
I am not very familiar with 'old' sequencers, but if you have multiple channels recorded, and you can play them back one at a time, you might be able to record them one at a time using NWC as if the signal came from a keyboard. You would probable have to fiddle with the notation to get it sync, though. Sonar (by Cakewalk) does the trick, it synchronizes to a lot of different clocks, but it is pretty expensive.