Skip to main content
Topic: beaming notes with different direction stems (Read 3075 times) previous topic - next topic

beaming notes with different direction stems

Hi all,

I now managed to create two melody lines on the
same staff with the stems in opposite directions, indicating
that these melodies should be played by different hands.
However, as I try to beam them, the bottom notes won't beam
(only the top)... this of course creates a very ugly
effect. Is there a workaround, or do you have to tipex-
beam them on the printout?

Thanks
-- Seb

Re: beaming notes with different direction stems

Reply #1
The solution is to use layered staves.

Reply #2
The solution is to use layered staves.
...as it is for so many problems.
Layering is a great thing to use.
The only problem is that when layering is activated, a line (like a bar line) show up at the left end of the staff.  When layering was experimental, this was not the case.
I wish there were some way to eliminate that line...

Keeping fingers crossed...

Reply #3
The one complaint I have with layering, which I have expressed on the wish list, is that when different eighth notes (say A and C) are on the two staves with the same stem direction, they each draw the flag at the end of their own stem. Since the stems end in two different places, the notes may appear to be a sixteenth. The stems and flags are not merged for display and printing into a single location.

Reply #4
Well, with all due respect, this eventuality is better covered by using chorded notes.

There's absolutely no reason why the layered and chording approaches can't be combined, utilizing the strengths of both.

Reply #5
Indeed, I have been using a combination of layering and chording ever since layering first became available.

Reply #6
Yeah, that layering sure is a great thing to use.
One of the first things I did was a section of music that had three notes slurred together, then three more, then three more, and then three more.  All twelve of these were also slurred together with a longer slur [phrase mark?].
Layering made that possible, and very easily, too.
That was when it was an experimental feature, and the part looked quite good.  When I needed to reprint it a few months ago, I found an added line at the left end of the staff.
And yes, I know that I mentioned it already...