Skip to main content
Topic: layering (Read 6343 times) previous topic - next topic

layering

I have been struggling for ages to write choral music in NWC where soprano / alto, and tenor / base parts are written on the same stave. I have been doing it using chords but it was rather messy, and some things you could not do at all. The new layering feature which you have released on an experimental basis gets round all the difficulties. Please can you ensure that the layering feature or something similar is supported in future upgrades as I would not want to see it dropped.

Re: layering

Reply #1
I would have to agree with you. The staff layering is a great idea. If it were possible to "hide" or make notes invisible, particlularly rests, that would also be helpful.

Reply #2
Can I echo Meg Doyle's request that this feature be kept and
enhanced in future versions - it's much needed!

Thanks.

Reply #3
The layering feature is essential for all those who have to
write multi voice staves, as it permits to write and play
back each voice separately, and then superimpose them on
for printing.
This feature solves a lot of existing problems, often
discussed in this forum, like beamed notes stem up and
stem down, and so on.
This feature should appear as the most asked feature in
the wish list.

Reply #4
It's also a very elegant solution to the problem. I imagine the problem with rests overlaying in the wrong spot could be solved either by NWC grabbing the bull by the horns and putting in some smarts in to move rests where they overwrite another note or rest, moving up for the higher (stem up) part, down otherwise.; or allowing user control of rest placement, which would help users who need to put rests near notes that are far away from the middle of the staff. I'm wondering how this whole overlay part would work for piano pieces where - say - the right hand plays chords and a melody at the same time.

Andrew

Reply #5
Could someone please give a blow by blow description on how
to do this layering? The docs say the feature is enabled
by editting a file which uses the feature. Can you spell
CATCH-22?

Reply #8
This is the only missing feature that has kept me from
purchasing and registering this product. In arranging
Barbershop music for amature musicians, it is not acceptable
to explain to them that the Tenor is the TOP of the
collection of four staves. I don't want to learn the
complexities of Finale because Noteworthy is every bit
the package I need, the simplicity I look for, but did not
allow me to superimpose to voices when printing. Please
make it available and keep it in all forthcoming versions.

Reply #9
Glynn,
I can't figure out why the tenor should be the top staff. Unless you're talking of male choirs of course.
And can't imagine why tenor singers would be uncapable to read THIS staff ?? Unless you use the tenor clef, of course ;-)

However, try the experimental staff layering feature thanx to http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/////composer/files/xprmntl.zip (the link works with a normal webbrowser. If not, try http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/composer/files/xprmntl.zip instead. :-)

MAD
Choir singer, soloist, flutist, composer, ... and HappyReg'dUser of NWC