Skip to main content
Topic: Drum core style voicing for MIDI (Read 3133 times) previous topic - next topic

Drum core style voicing for MIDI

Hey guys...

I play in my high school's marching band and am trying to write some cadences using NoteWorthy. I ran into a small problem though.. I am using MIDI channel 10 for general percussion sounds, but am running short of a few sounds that i need.

My school's drumline consists of tenor drums, snares, cymbals, and 4 different sized bass drums.  My problem is in finding a good sound for those bass drums...  What sound can I use to most accurately have these drums voiced?  I am using "melodic toms" for the tenor drums, and snares and cymbals are fine with the voicing in channel 10.

help with bass drum voicing please! thank you!

--miguel, in LA county

Re: Drum core style voicing for MIDI

Reply #1
Try using the Taiko Drum, which is listed just above Melodic Tom.  I usually use D below the bass staff, A above that, E above that, and B above that (which is just below Middle C), but you will have to experiment with what pitches you need to use.  Also, you may want pitches an octave lower, depending on what your sound card does.  The attack is a bit weak, so I use the "regular" bass drum on channel 10 played simultaneously with the "pitched" bass drums.

HTH

Re: Drum core style voicing for MIDI

Reply #2
Sounds good.  I usually do either that or the lower toms on ch. 10    good luck

CML    "Guido"