Skip to main content
Topic: Slurs (Read 2554 times) previous topic - next topic

Slurs

Fred has recently rated NWC as 9.5, I’d agree. I still prefer NWC to other programs I have, but one constant headache I have with NWC is slurs, especially when I have to add text to a close SATB score. The slurs consume so much space and appear unnatural in the print out. I have tried to solve the problem with NWC slurs without success. I’ll like to hear your comments and suggestions of possible solution to this problem. Let me however salute NWC for an excellent program while at the same time requesting that attention be given to this as they seek to improve the program..

Re: Slurs

Reply #1
I'm the creator of the NW Slurs font, and have to admit that it is not a good solution.

Here is what I do, for exactly your problem: Create metafiles of the music, and put them into word processor documents. You may, or may not, be able to un-group and edit the metafile. This is tricky: The metafile may fall apart. Depends on many factors, not just NWC.

Plan B is to create the music without slurs, or with just the slurs that NWC1.75 places the way you like. Then, create metafiles, put them into a word processor document, and use the NW slurs font for free-floating slurs that can be positioned and scaled anyway you like.

If you happen to have a full-featured drawing program such as Adobe Illustrator, you may find that the metefiles are fully editable, which will allow you to rotate and scale slurs.

Re: Slurs

Reply #2
This is a bone of contention for me as well.
NWC is very good -- except for the slurs.
Get a piece of sheet music and make the same thing using NWC.
Compare the slurs.
Yuck.
Plan B is to draw them manually after printout...