Skip to main content
Topic: Any way to keeping insertion point centered on screen? (Read 3368 times) previous topic - next topic

Any way to keeping insertion point centered on screen?

Is there any way to automatically keep the insertion point centered on the screen while notating?

For example, I'd like to be able to choose to have the entire score re-position itself on the screen after a note is added so that the insertion point would remain correctly positioned with regard to the score, but would also be centered on the screen.  This would enable one to always see the measure that precedes the insertion point, as well as the measure (perhaps on another staff) that follows the insertion point.

Sometimes, when the insertion point reaches the extreme right edge of the screen, I am unable to see any of the following measures on other staves without manually re-positioning the score on the screen (scroll bar, etc.)  I find this bothersome and I also find that it frequently breaks my "chain of thought" while I attend to the "housekeeping" function of scrolling the screen.

If there exists a method for doing this, I have been unable to find it.

Suggestions, anyone?

-- alw

Re: Any way to keeping insertion point centered on screen?

Reply #1
No, this feature does not presently exist. But I think it's an excellent idea, and a good candidate for the Wish List

Reply #2
It might be a touch distracting if the whole screen moves every time you insert a note, but certainly it would be nice to have the screen jump perhaps a bar earlier than it does. That would mean there would always be a bar of music (or equivalent blank space) after the insertion point.

Reply #3
Count me in on that wish.

Reply #4
This sounds great, but I think it should be a selectable option.  When working on the score, especially between several bars, I don't want the screen jumping around on me.  When I'm just doing simple note-entering of a score, then it would be okay.  Maybe have a hot-key to toggle the mode.

John

Reply #5
I think Peter's suggestion is the best one - make the screen scroll earlier than it currently does. Perhaps make the minimum number of bars after the insertion point user-configurable.

Robin

Reply #6
The only problem with that is long bars.  For various reasons I have bars which won't fit in the display pane!  So the over-ride rules would have to include guaranteeing that the insertion point remains visible.