Skip to main content
Topic: Midi?? (Read 4952 times) previous topic - next topic

Midi??

I got this new Vtech telephone that lets you take your favorite song and convert it into a ring tone so you can put it onto your phone.

well i put in one of my cds and save a song to my computer then i downloaded the ring converter but it asked me to open my midi that i want to turn into a ring tone.

The song that i saved onto my computer will not open as a midi file how do i get it to?

Any suggestions

Re: Midi??

Reply #1
This is a long story and has been covered many times in forum. Basically, Music from a CD or any source and as recorded on a wav file in a PC is a complex system of waves etc. Midi on the other hand is a set of instructions to a synthesizer to play a certain note at a certain time etc just like a word processor for text,and can easily be handled by a computer. It is not easy to convert sound to midi. If you want to make a ring tone, first enter the notes in NWC and then save as .mid and it will work fine. There are plenty of programs out there that will make ring tones from midi.

Reply #2
You mean I can make my own ring tones?
I don't have to use one of the pieces of *&#$@ that come with the phone?
Fill me in!

Reply #3
(1) There may already be alternative ring tones posted on he Internet, by those who created them and wish to share them. Browse.

(2) The same applies for MIDI files.

(3) You can create your own MIDI files, if you know the sheet music. You can NOT simply pull recorded music from a CD and convert it to MIDI. But a ring tone is not musically complex. If your favorite tune is something for which you can find (or guess) the notes, then you can use Noteworthy Composer to make the music file, and save it as MIDI. If your favorite tune happens to be something from (say) 1960s pop music, your public library may have the sheet music or have old magazines with the sheet music.

(4) Unless your phone will accept the MIDI directly, you will need software to convert the MIDI to whatever file format the phone requires. Did the phone come with such software, or is it available via the pnone manufacturer's web site? If not, browse for software that will do it.

Reply #4
You can create your own MIDI files, if you know the sheet music.
I'm talkin' 'bout my own music - something totally original, so I know it's my phone, and not someone else who just happens to like Zappa or Rush, or Bartok or Hindemith.
The phone didn't come with software; I'll go check out the site.
Thanks for the tip.

Reply #5
At least my Nokia phone accepts MIDI - and therefore making ringtones is really easy.

I just compose them in NWC and save as midi. Then I upload the midi file to my home page, select Services|Go to address and input the name of the file (eg. http://koti.mbnet.fi/bstrom/pring/wed.mid).

Reply #6
...upload the midi file to my home page...
So I'm guessing that the file has to be "online" somewhere, and your "service" "downloads" it into your phone.
I have a Nokia also, but I don't have a home page.
How do I install to my phone?

Reply #7
I just bought a Vtech gz 2456/2459.  Does anyone know what website you can go to so I can download songs off the internet and then onto my phone????????

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Reply #8
As said before (in 2003) you have to use midi-files. Forget wav or au-files; you can never (the kind of never you find in Hell Freezes Over) get wav on the phone.

But I would like instructions too: how do I get midi-files onto my Nokia? Any MidiToNokia For Dummies-instructions available?

Reply #9
With my Nokia, the software to do the job came with the phone.  Mine has an infra red interface as does my Notebook so I setup the connection via infra red and voila.

It was a while ago now so I don't remember the steps any more.

Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.