Skip to main content
Topic: staffs again (Read 5609 times) previous topic - next topic

staffs again

I am sorry and this will probably be the last time I need help. In my previous question I needed help inserting a new staff. I wanted to start out the song I was composing just using the piano template (2 staffs.. a treble and a bass one) and then I wanted to add a vocalacc template staff to the existing staff. In other words I wanted to start 5 measures of a song using just a treble and bass cleff staff and the rest of the song using a vocal staff, consisting of a treble cleff on top of another treble cleff and a bass cleff. Is there any way to do this. Any time I try and add a new staff it adds it at the beginning of the song and I want it after the 5th measure. Thanks!
Adam

Re: staffs again

Reply #1
Ah, now I understand. No, sorry. There's no way of doing this using NWC at this time.

I've done something similar, but it was pretty fiddly. I actually made two NWC files, the first with only the piano intro, and the second with the rest of the song (with vocal and piano staves). I then "printed" them as PostScript files, and used a programmer's text editor to combine them. I then took that combined PostScript file and made a PDF out of it.

As I say, very fiddly. But there might be a more direct way of doing more-or-less the same thing. There's a program called "PDFedit" which claims to be able to combine PDF files. This, and the companion PDF generator program PDF995 might help you do what you've got in mind.

Reply #2
Forgot to put a link to the piece I mentioned having done by combining postscript files and then converting to PDF: Schubert's "Erlkoenig"

Reply #3
To my knowledge, programs that can combine PDF files, do so on a page-by-page basis. That is, you can't combine a top half with a bottom half to get one page.

Reply #4
Robert's comment is right on the money. Even the hack-by-hand PostScript concatenation only seems to work properly on discrete pages.

Reply #5
As for the original question: Although you cannot have a partial staff within a single NWC1.75 file, you can achieve the result easily enough.

What you can do is copy metafiles of whatever you need, and drop them into a word processing document. Works with MS Word, Open Office, and presumably the Corel products.

Reply #6
Works wonderfully with WordPerfect