Skip to main content
Topic: fake notes for finger snapping or talking (Read 4587 times) previous topic - next topic

fake notes for finger snapping or talking

I don't know what these notes are called, but I'm talking
about notes that have a stem attached to an 'X' rather than
a normal circular base.

I believe I have seen them used in vocal arrangements for
things like finger snapping or talking in time.

I would like to know if NWC supports these notes.
Specifically, can such a note be entered so that it takes
a syllable of the lyrics? This would be my preference.

I imagine that even if there is no specific support, I
could enter it as text. If this is my only option,
could someone point me to a font that has these
whatchamacallits. I tried to find one today, looking in
several music fonts, but found nothing like what I want.

And, if I have to use text, how should I put a 'lyric' in
for that beat?

David

Re: fake notes for finger snapping or talking

Reply #1
I think this would be a fantastic thing, and is really just a change of note head from blobs to Xs, and hence just another note attribute. Add it to the wish list. Do you know how half notes (minims) and whole notes (semibreves) are written? Or are they ignored?

I don't know how you could enter it as text to make it look right, as the only way to extend a staff is by entering notes or rests, which would get in the way of your "beats".
You could do them OFF the stave (say, hanging below). This wouldn't look too bad. But since text is attached to staffs and placed (somehow) in the stream of objects, you may have trouble with alignment.

Have you looked at the NWCV15 font, that comes with NWC? It has the double-sharp character which would work okay. It has tails, too! And they could be pasted in (laboriously) using the Character Map program.

Ideally, this should all be done "in hardware", ie by NWC as a note attribute.

As Eric would say, Hope this helps.

Andrew

Reply #2
What you want are rhythm noteheads.
These could be used as you suggest, for drum cymbals and provide anchors for chords in rhythm parts.
In the last instance they could be implemented with the same MIDI status as rests - perhaps as an alternative type of rest.
I agree - would all the above add it to the NWC Wish List PLEASE!!

Reply #3
This was actually something that I had to do recently. I ended up by superimposing an x over the relevant noteheads, using the text editor (x), and disabling the Preserve width function.

I was creating practice midi files for my voice students. So that they could use the files to learn their parts, I chose pitches which were part of the chord, in the midi file - this prevented terrible dissonances. In the actual printed score, I made sure that the notes were x-ed. This is a temporary solution - it would be lovely to have this capablitily.

Reply #4
The ability to show notes as beamed X's instead of beamed blobs is useful for vocal music and certain percussion parts. A feature like this integrated into NoteWorthy Composer would be greatly appreciated.

Reply #5
The idea of note with an X as a head is good for jazz charts as well as everything else. In jazz, a ghost note is an X as well as the drums, and claps and snaps for vocals and jazz

Reply #6
This feature is an excellent idea! I have looked for these but couldn't ifnd them. Another thing I'm looking for is something that will let you have a normal staff, but then add an *extra measure* so to speak that will only be played the SECOND time around. When I first saw the grace note feature, I thought that's what it was, but then found out that they were just grace notes. Of course, grace notes are good for guitar slides, hamer-ons, and pull-offs. I don't know what you call these smaller ntoes (usually are in parenthises and have a "2x" or "D.S." next to them. I have achieved this with the Special Ending feature and just added an extra couple of measures, having the first in one (1.), the second in another (2.), and then showing 1., 2. where they both play. Pain in the butt too! THis would help a lot!