Skip to main content
Topic: View prn file (Read 5459 times) previous topic - next topic

View prn file

Hi guys,

I need to be able to veiw a .prn file that has been created using a pcl driver.  I can do this with a file created with a PS driver using gsview, but this won't work for the pcl file.

Any help most appreciated.

Re: View prn file

Reply #1
Maybe you need 'PRNter', available free download,not sure where, maybe Cnet, but written by twlee@mail.com .Prints from .prn files i.e files printed to file. works well. If you can't find it I can send you a copy. Lew.C

Reply #2
Yeh Jacko PRNter available at Simtel.net

Reply #3
PCL files are a proprietary file format by HP. If memory serves, one of the reasons for the development of PostScript is that HP was rather snooty about licensing PCL.

Anyway, a company called Pageview has a PCL manipulation program for sale, and once also offered a free viewer called "Formview." This is what I used to convert a bunch of PCL circuit diagrams I had from the DOS days. I see now that they've dumped Formview, but replaced it with a "demo" version of their PCL Tools program. From what I can see, it offers pretty much full functionality (and quite a bit more than was offered by Formview, for that matter). It might be just what you need.

Reply #5
and this is related to NWC how?

Reply #6
It is possible to send documents in *.ps (PostScript) format, to be printed by a Postscript compatible printer, or opened for viewing or printing to a non-Postscript printer with Ghostscript/GSview. This method preceded the use of PDF, I believe, and is still in common use.

You can send a PCL file, to be printed by a recipient's PCL-compatible printer. But if the recipient doesn't have one, there is no free equivalent to Ghostscript that will open the PCL file for viewing or printing to a non-PCL printer. However, there are commercial products for that purpose.

Maybe the user got sheet music in PCL format, and is wondering  what to do with it? Or maybe, as the above respondent noted, it has nothing to do with NWC, and got into the wrong forum.

Reply #7
I used the artifex source code and compiled the command line program PCL6. It just basically allows you to convert a RAW PCL file to other format. I just convert the file to PDF format and use Acrobat Reader as the viewer. The conversion is quite past. One time I sent a PCL file with 2000 pages and the delay is not much noticeable in fact loading the Acrobat takes longer. Also, the PCL to PDF conversion generates a searchable PDF file.

So far, I only use the converter under Win2000, but my co-worker uses WinXP and he said it works fine.

I execute the command line in silent mode, so the dos window won't show up.

On the other hand, a converter that converts PCL file to standard Windows PRN that can be sent to non-PCL printer is even better.

Reply #8
Just go to dos and use the command - copy file.prn prn -
This will send it to the default printer.  Enjoy

Reply #9
Of course you'll need to use the right file name.