Skip to main content
Topic: Midi device fails to open... (Read 3330 times) previous topic - next topic

Midi device fails to open...

I've just reinstalled NWC on my new hard drive (old one took a crap on me). Everything was working fine, but now, I get the "One or more of your midi devices have failed to open". I only have Midi Mapper selected, but I have no Midi Mapper in my Control Panel. I don't believe I did on my old hard drive, either. The only thing I think could have caused this is that I just recently installed Winamp 3 as I try to get my new hard drive stocked. Midi will not play from any of my programs. Can anyone please help?? Thanks.

Re: Midi device fails to open...

Reply #1
Not sure where to start... except perhaps by pointing out that in the 32-bit Windows versions (W95, 95a-c, 98, 98se, ME and AFAIK w2k and xp also) the midi-mapper is actually in the Midi tab of the Control Panel "Multimedia" applet.

Good luck!

Re: Midi device fails to open...

Reply #2
I had a similar problem yesterday. Out of the blue sky. My external midi port just vanished. All of the others were there, but when played to, no sound whatsoever. Normally, I would have gone to the device manager, uninstalled my sound card driver, and rebooted. But even my device manager was weird: it was showing no devices.

I ended up reinstalling my Windows XP, and now my device manager is working, all of the expected midi ports are back, as is the sound.

So, if nothing else helps, you may want to reinstall Windows. I know it is a hassle, but at least in my case it was the correct solution. Of course, if your device manager is working (Start, Settings, Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager), then try using it first. Select your sound driver, right click on it and uninstall it. Then reboot. Windows should reinstall it automatically (though it may ask you for the CD ROM, or wherever the driver is). Chances are that will solve the problem.