Skip to main content
Topic: Tried everything, unable to get MIDI Keyboard to work. (Read 3884 times) previous topic - next topic

Tried everything, unable to get MIDI Keyboard to work.

I have searched many posts and I tried everthing I just can't get my keyboard to work. I have a Kaysound MK-4902 Midi Keyboard. SoundBlaster SB Live! 5.1.

I just can't get the computer to recognize the keyboard. Am I supposed to push something on the keyboard? A certain setting to put it? How do I make sure I know I even have a proper connection?

Any advice would be great, if someone could give me a complete step by step guide on what I do from turning the keyboard on to recording in NWC or getting any type of connection with the computer that would be great.

Re: Tried everything, unable to get MIDI Keyboard to work.

Reply #1
Try this.

1) Make sure that the cables are plugged in. Also, make sure that the IN plug is in the OUT socket, and vice versa.

2) Make sure that, in Tools | Options -> Record, you have selected the correct device for input.

3) If you want to hear music from your keyboard, remember to select the correct output, too. Use MIDI Mapper, and in Control Panel, select External Out, MPU-401 or whatever name your card driver uses.

4) Try playing music in NWC. If that doesn't work, try playing a MID file in Media Player. You should not hear sound from your computer speakers, but from your keyboard. (If it has speakers.)

5) Find in the keyboard manual how to set the keyboard to the General MIDI and/or External mode. This may have some effect.

6) Also, try changing/toggling your keyboard settings, such as In/Out Channel #, External Clock etc...

Re: Tried everything, unable to get MIDI Keyboard to work.

Reply #2
make sure that when you installed the card that all the systen devices for the soundcard where installed correctly. if u go into the control panel and then system check the sound devices and if one has a little yellow marker by it get it reinstalled. hope this helps i had certain troubles with mine too it works fine now.