Skip to main content
Topic: I got a problem (Read 2227 times) previous topic - next topic

I got a problem

I want to make a .nwc file with a .mid file but the result is really bad... If someone here is good for making good .nwc files with .mid (and do all the modifications), I want this person to E-mail me... and I will send him the .mid file to convert.

My E-mail is maxime_leduc@hotmail.com

Thank You

Maxime Leduc

Re: I got a problem

Reply #1
could be that the midi file was made so that its hard to bring it back into a music notator like nwc. maybe the musician didnt want someone changing the music too easy. for example the music might have extra rests inserted in front or funky time signature so that the measures dont fall where they oughta. its also possible to play mind games like labeling the trumpet staff as pinao or flute so that you get confused if you use a music notator. there are are few things that nwc dont do like bring in triplets but that wouldnt wreck the whole music.

Reply #2
Probably the MIDI file was not made hard to import intentionally.  Many sequencers allow one to construct MIDI files without ever going through the kind of "standard notation" thinking that a musician who reads music uses in composing.  To get cleaner looking notation in your import go to Tools, Options, Import.  Try importing the MIDI file with different values for the notes and rests until you get something reasonable looking in the notation.  Perhaps good starting points would be Rests:Eighth Rest (or even Quarter Rest) and Notes:Sixteenth Note.  These set what are usually called "quantizing" options.  Quantizing could be called rhythmic rounding off to the nearest note or rest value selected.  This is to compensate for the small rhythmic "inaccuracies" that we human beings make in our playing (which, by the way, make the music sound HUMAN instead of mechanical) but that confuse a computer, which insists on taking EVERYTHING literally.  :)

Reply #3
With some files, I find it best to do as Milton suggests to get the basic "cleaner" looking file, but then often runs of 16th or 32nd notes turn into chord clusters, so its a good idea to import the file twice, and work with the cleaner one, and use the more involved one as reference for those faster note passages.
It's usually quite a lot of hard work, Maxime, but so satisfying when you have eventually produced a score yourself which you can print out and play! This is one of the invaluable joys of using Noteworthy Composer.