Skip to main content
Topic: Beam and print problems (Read 2762 times) previous topic - next topic

Beam and print problems

I don't know why the beam command can never be activated when I need to beam notes. At the first time I've used the programm this command has functioned well, but now it doesn't function any more.
I have also a problem by printing the sheet. The print preview shows only the first staff, which is printed, but the other ones at the long, long line are not shown and not printed as well.
As you see, I don't know the programm very well, because I'm using it not for long. Can the more experienced users help me to solve these two problems?

Re: Beam and print problems

Reply #1
Hi Marta,
Sometimes when selecting the notes for beaming, the highlight touches the barline or maybe even another note - then the beaming option sometimes remains greyed. Make sure that you select only the notes you wish to beam. If a triplet figure is included in the group, then this also will not be able to be beamed. What are the note values of your group?

It's hard to tell why you are experiencing the print preview and print problem. Are all your staves the same length?

Reply #2
Another possibility: If you have more than one staff, you must insert bar lines where they belong on *each* staff. NWC does not automatically insert bar lines for you.

Reply #3
Hi, Ann!
Thanks for the help. The tool "beam" functions again. Now I know how to do it.
The problem with the print is resolved too, after some trials with the page setup.
I have another question now: when two equal tones are tied with the slur notation the player plays both notes instead of just one note with longer duration. What do I have to do so that the player plays right? Can you help me once more?

Reply #4
Marta,

You use "tie" and "slur" in one sentence. Please note that there is a difference, in Noteworthy as well as in real music :-).

To tie two notes necessarily of the same pitch together (in Noteworthy, by selecting a note and using the tie button or the "/" keyboard shortcut) effectively makes two notes sound as one, without space, or breathing, in between.

Slur is more a performance style, moving smoothly from one note to another. In Noteworthy, slurring two notes of equal pitch together (";"keyboard shortcut) gives you the sound of two notes, slur on notes of different pitch are smoothly joined together.

The actual sound also depends on your MIDI and sound card capabilities by the way.

Go on exploring Noteworthy. I've been using it for years, and it's fun!

W

Reply #5
Hi, Wilm!
Oops, I was using the slur command instead of the tie button... I know the difference between the two signs in real music, but I don't know the specific music terms in English. Well, anyway thanks a lot for your help.