Skip to main content
Topic: Reveal Musicstar (Read 2952 times) previous topic - next topic

Reveal Musicstar

I got this midi keyboard that has only midi on it.
I have conected it 2 the pc using the joystick port but it dosnt work , i dont know what to do and Ive tried everything .
My soundblaster is on board Avance AC97 audio card.
Can anyone help ?

Re: Reveal Musicstar

Reply #1
This has been covered many times before, but to save me looking up the other posts, try the following:

1. If your midi lead has two 5-pin din plugs but your keyboard has only one socket (midi out) try plugging the other din plug into the socket.

2. Do you have a software package to receive the midi signals? You can't just play a note on the key board and get a sound out of the soundcard. Can't think of any programs that don't come bundled with soundcards, but look on the shareware sites. My old favourite is Voyetra Orchestrator (yup, came with my first ever 16-bit soundcard).

3. Check the instructions with the keyboard as this may need to have a patch entered before sending a midi message - but most default to patch 1 (grand piano) on channel 1 in my limited experience.

Good luck

Re: Reveal Musicstar

Reply #2
The biggest problem with the Reveal Midi keyboard is not the keyboard, but the midi drivers. You must tell your system to install msmpu401 in order to make many of the soundcards accept midi in. They may handle midi to their FM Synth, or even midi out, and still not be set up for midi in. Win3.1 and Win95 didn't have this problem.
I believe you may need to tell the hardware installation wizard that you have a new device, and then manually audio drivers, then select Microsoft, and then msmpu401. You will need your CD.
There is more info on the web.