Skip to main content
Topic: Problems with Newgroup (Read 15805 times) previous topic - next topic

Problems with Newgroup

For the past couple of days I have been getting a message that the newsgroup server "refused connection".  I had had problems with email, with the server name getting corrupted, so I deleted the ezusa server and tried to resubscribe, but I have gotten the same "refused connection" message.

I'm using NS 7.01 on Win98SE.

Cyril

Re: Problems with Newgroup

Reply #1
I have been having trouble for about a week now. I have had refused connection, but also when I do get on recent messages do not seem to be there. There is nothing since 16 March at the moment, and I reply that I sent to a message about that time has not appeared.

Also, I am no longer automatically sent to the newsgroup when I reach the end of messages in my inbox, but have to select it manually and when I do it seems to download all messages for the past week, even though they have already been downloaded.

I using NS 7.0 on Win98SE so my set up is very similar to yours Cyril.

Geoff

Reply #2
Same here. I'm getting the message "Unable to connect to server". I'm accessing the newgroup thru' Outlook and everything else is fine internet-connection-wise

Any word yet on the problem and solution.

Reply #3
I SEEMS to be working again, at least it is downloading 14000+ messages.  When I openned the mail/news reader it presented me with a "Wizard" to set up the connection to the server (remember, I had deleted it and tried to resubscribe) and it is now getting the headers.

For the record.  For the past week or so, at least every other time I've gone to the newgroup it as reported no new messages, then it would dump 20 or 30 on me.  Don't know if that is related to the above problem.

Reply #4
BUT -- now I can see the many queries there about weirdness in the NG.  And lots of dangling "Re:..." messages, on a new subscription where all the messages are unread.

Think there is anyone minding the store?

Reply #5
I'm seeing similar things.  I connect okay, and it says there are no new messages...all day.  Then I delete and resubscribe, and there are new messages, but some of the old ones are gone.  This has been the case with both NetScape Messenger 4.80 and NetScape 7.02.  Also, the message number seems to bounce around.  Sometimes there are around 28,000 messages in the newsgroup, then all of a sudden there are around 14,000 something.

I did notice when I connected a couple of weeks ago that there was a purge of old messages done (as the most recent now seems to be March 2002).  I'm wondering if all this is related to that purge (and they do seem to purge the newsgroup about once a year).  That would also explain the 28,000 versus 14,000 messages.  Sounds to me like the server is just very confused.  It's getting frustrating, however, since you can't trust the content.

Thanks,

John

Reply #6
Has anyone contacted the owner of ezusa?
PJ

Reply #7
Have done

Geoff

Reply #8
Still down 20 March 2002, 0212 UT :-(
The ezusa newsserver has been one sick puppy for quite a while now.

Reply #9
Same symptoms here, with the message 'Unable to connect to server'.

Joe

Reply #10
FYI: NoteWorthy Software has dropped support for a private NNTP newsgroup dedicated to NoteWorthy Composer (for now, at least).

Reply #11
I presume by "support" (for now), you mean there is no longer a link to the newsgroup from the Noteworthy homepage (at least that's what I noticed when looking at the NWC site map).  I would presume that once the newsgroup problems are resolved, the link would hopefully be re-established.

John

Reply #12
Can a public newsgroup be started?
PJ

Reply #13
Sigh, sniff -- anyone got a handkerchief?

Reply #14
Can't get a connection to the Newsgroup eighter :-(

F r i t s

Reply #16
Or should I say support@ezusa.net - anyway it was a "mailto:" link on their website.

Geoff

Reply #17
I called the ezusa phone number. The answering device said that the correct email address was
support@americansys.com.  The owner of that address is named Brad.

I emailed them two days ago with no response.
Maybe if a number of people would contact them it would help.
If you want to try the phone, the number is 817-485-6547
PJ

Reply #18
Isn't all this rather futile?  If NoteWorthy is not supporting the newsgroup, then I would expect it to be shut down, as it seems to be.  I suppose alternatives are:

Appeal to NoteWorthy, which is what this thread in the forum is effectively doing, I would think

Get a "public" newsgroup started, with concomitant spam attacks, and exposure of copyright postings

Sulk

At the moment I am in state three.  Perhaps there is a fourth, etc. alternatives, but I'm out of ideas at the moment.

Reply #19
Not working for me now (as at 1:30am GMT)

Cass
xxxxxxx

Reply #20
Gee,

Noteworthy has dropped the link to the newsgroup. Now I'm going to have to look for a new source of frustration. (Hmmm, U.S. policies?)

Reply #21
We have been the greatest supporters of Noteworthy for a long time.
Maybe it is now the time for Noteworthy to support us a little bit.

What do you think Eric?
PJ

Reply #22
I am hoping that the "for now at least" comment from NoteWorthy means that they are keeping the situation under review.

Those of you who go back that far will remember similar sorts of problems with the previous newsgroup provider, the one before EZUSA.

At that time, the hosts of the newsgroup ran into problems and after a few weeks of spasmodic newsgroup activity, Eric announced that he had arranged for a new private newsgroup using EZUSA.

I think wait and see for a bit longer is the order of the day.
Rich.

Reply #23
How about a temporary mail list? At least we could keep in touch until something more permanent was sorted out?

I'll set it up if anyone is interested. (You know where to find me <g>)

Tina

Reply #24
Hey! What about a News Forum? :-)
Okay, so it doesn't have files, but it has the warm, huggy feelings. We can post links to uploaded (somewhere) files!

Anyway, ntworthy.nwc has resurrected itself at least for now. No guarantees. You will have to do a reload or reset of the group, though, as they've stuffed up the numbering again.

Eric, how hard would it be for you to whack an NNTP server on one of your machines? I guess the problems would be in maintaining security, though I don't know what can happen with news servers. If the other problem is copyright of uploaded songs, that could be a hard one to control unless everyone was very good.

Reply #25
btw: Tina, before setting up a mailing list, ask Dominique Portier if his nwcbymail list is still going.

Reply #26
Who? Sorry Andrew, don't know the gentleman or anything about his mailing thingy

Tina

Reply #27
Dominique (a.k.a. Marsu) does read and contribute to the Forum. For all we know, he may be pondering the problem at this very moment!

The mailing list Andrew was referring to was set up by Marsu a couple of years ago because he was unable to access the newsgroup. It depended on contributors "signing up" to the mailing list (which was free) and then c.c. -ing all their NG contributions to the mailing list. These were then forwarded to all other members of the list, but as you may guess, it was a bit cumbersome because the messages were not related in "threads", and attachments were not allowed.

The problems in using a public NG, especially one which permits attachments ("binaries" in NG - speak) are too well-known to mention here.

Reply #28
How about a Moderated public newsgroup?

Or how about taking over an abandoned existing newsgroup that never gets any messages. There are some of these on the ezusa server.
PJ

Reply #29
I was once on a 'private' public newsgroup. It was free, and membership by invitation only. But I'm blowed if I can remember where it was!

Tina

Reply #30
I am sorry to read about the downfall of Esuza. Having tried to log in myself, a few times over the week or so, just assumed that it was our network or my machine.

I am glad to find Jan Hofland's new group.