Skip to main content
Topic: Not sending anything to the computer (Read 6135 times) previous topic - next topic

Not sending anything to the computer

HI!
I had a old computer wit a sound blaster live!(value!) and that worked fine with my yamaha psr 220

Now i have got a new computer, i cannot send anything to my computer via the keyboard (nothing comes up)I have a Sis soundcard and it comes up using a mpu-410.i can get midi files to play through my keboard, but that is all

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Thanks!

Re: Not sending anything to the computer

Reply #1
This is help best requested from the maker of your new computer. It is possible that your new computer does not support the keyboard to PC direction in its MPU401 implementation.

Reply #2
You (and everyone else who has problems with connecting a keyboard to NWC in the PC) might as well just forget it. I love Noteworthy as much as the next person, and will still rave about the product to others, but when it comes to that one issue of communicating with a keyboard, they just don't wanna know. It's your keyboard, your cable, your PC, your soundcard, you name it - everything else's fault but their software! I wonder how many people HAVE had success with it? What is most galling is when they try to dismiss you with a "Have you followed the manual?" when you've already told them you have. That is SO insulting!

Reply #3
I wonder how many people HAVE had success with it?

I've had excellent results, on many occasions, using a variety of synths, and three different versions of Windows. Even an old Korg drum machine, under Win3.11.

It's your keyboard, your cable, your PC, your soundcard, you name it - everything else's fault but their software!

If your midi device is working, then the software works. Simple as that. OTOH, the software can't do anything with a signal that does not exist. Doesn't matter if it's NWC, Cubase, Cakewalk, Massiva, Gigasampler, etc. etc. You have to get the hardware and operating system working and passing data to the application before the application can do anything with it.

Reply #4
I have a parallel-port MIDI interface device that worked fine on my old Windows 98 machine, and on Windows 95. But it cannot be made to work on my new XP machine. The reason is that the driver software will not install into Windows XP, no matter what tricks I try (and I know a lot of tricks).

Nothing that NWC can do would be able to rectify the situation. The problem is external to the program. The MIDI device will not work with ANY program on XP unless the interface manufacturer re-writes the driver software. That won't happen, as the manufacturer is kaput.

If another NWC user just happens to have your exact hardware setup, and has been able to do something that you haven't done, then maybe that user can tell you what to do.

Non-specific problems that CAN be fixed include: Switched MIDI cables; system is not using the correct MIDI driver; NWC is expecting input from differnet MIDI driver. The last two of these would occur if you have a MIDI driver different from the default, and somehow yoyur setup isn't using it.

Reply #5
Having just bought a 'new' second hand midi dumb keyboard from a boot fair yesterday, I was very pleased that everything worked as expected. And that's using Windows 98 SE on a portable with a docking station (Portables very rarely come with midi ports but their docking stations do !)

I also have to say that my son has XP on his portable and the keyboard worked on that as well, though I must admit that there was a contortion of cables and external sound boxes (Creative Extigy)needed to get it all to work.

So I guess that what you should read into this is that Robert's assertion that the problem is external to the program is quite right. The drivers that you have on your machine just cannot do the same jobe that drivers on other achines can do. Sorry !

For the record, I used the supplied Yamaha MPU401 in the tools / options / record input device. I set "Echo Midi Input" so that I could hear it.

From then on, clicking on Midi Input Active (The keyboard symbol) did the necessary, or using a one bar repeating loop enabled me to use the record button into a new stave. (Set up in Tools/Options/Record.

HTH

Richard
Rich.

Reply #6
I don't mean to be rude or anything, but i thought this forum was supposed to be about my problem and none of you have helped me except from Noteworthy!!!!!

Reply #7
From the Noteworthy Software front page: Online forum where NoteWorthy Composer users can communicate with each other. From the Intro in the Help section: We have made a forum available where users can interact with each other.

I don't mean to be rude, but I believe this has occurred, even though your problem has little or nothing to do with NoteWorthy Composer. From the "Rules" section: This is a NoteWorthy Composer support forum, intended for messages pertaining to the use of this program.

Reply #8
"i can get midi files to play through my keboard, but that is all"

Since your setup worked with the SB Live, you know that your cables and keyboard are not faulty. The good news is that this narrows the possible causes of your problem down significantly. The bad news is that the cause is likely the MIDI hardware/driver setup of your new computer.

If the maker of your computer claims MIDI support, then your best course of action is to update your MIDI driver using software provided by the manufacturer.

If your new PC hardware does not properly support MPU-401 functions, you might consider installing a sound card that does support them. For example, you could install your old SB Live, if you still have it.

Reply #9
Someone said: "I wonder how many people HAVE had success with it?" (connecting kb to PC to use with Noteworthy). Assuming it was a survey and not a blanket negative comment, The config mentioned worked fine for me when I tried it five years ago. I don't use it at the moment 'cos I don't need it.

It is a shame that the above user couldn't resolve their problem. We'd all need more details to be able to help, tho'. btw: did Mike actually fix his problem? :)

Reply #10
Now its not even coming up with any MIDI MPU401 soundcard at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How do you install your old soundcard?

Reply #11
I've had no problem connecting (piano) keyboard to a Windows 98 computer, using a parallel-port MIDI interface connector (separate product, did not come with the computer). Everything worked as expected, the first time.

When I switch to XP, the installer software for the MIDI interface did not work, and could not be made to work using any known compatibility tricks (the interface manufacturer is no longer in business, so no software upgrade is possible). However, I am told by others that recent-model MIDI interface with USB for XP do, in fact, work.

There was (still is) an old software program (probably Windows 95 era, maybe even 3.1) that would play piano notes when you touched certain computer keys, so you could "play" your computer like a piano (one touch at a time). This software could be used as MIDI input to NWC under Windows 98. But the "piano" software will not install under Windows XP, period.

If you browse the Internet, you will find that there are numerous instances of older-model hardware or software that will not work in XP. In some cases, even a new device may not have a completely compatible driver. It is hit and miss; many older drivers do, in fact, work in XP. The receiving program (such as NWC) has nothing to do with it.

If in doubt: Try specifying your card driver in Windows compatibility mode as "NT 4" (not Windows 95) and see if it works.

Reply #12
I use Windows ME anyway,and the only thing that seems to be wrong is my soundcard, because all the hardware which did use when i had my old computer.

What do you mean change it to NT?

Reply #13
What do you mean change it to NT?

Applies only to XP, in which you can select various "compatibility modes."

Since you're running ME (a DOS-based Windows version like 95 and 98) you don't have that option, and therefore don't need to worry about it. ;-)

Reply #14
Still havent fixed the problem, have you got any other ideas?

Reply #15
Computer not sending mosof the time. HELP