Skip to main content
Topic: midi lag-sound occurs with noticeable delay after key is pressed (Read 4836 times) previous topic - next topic

midi lag-sound occurs with noticeable delay after key is pressed

hi,

hope i am not repeating the question on the group but i did have a look around and found nothing which addressed my problem.

i have a win98se machine with sound built onboard (ECS K7S5A motherboard) and a Yamaha PSR-520 keyboard. I have connected the Yamaha synth to the PC using the midi joystick port on the sound card. I use different software programs like Reality, SurReal (both from Seer systems) and Fruity Loops all with the same PROBLEM : when i play a key on the external synthesizer the corresponding sound output from the midi software comes after a noticeable delay.

The PC is fairly powerful : AMD duron 1.3 Ghz processor with 256 MB DDR 233 mhz RAM.

The midi connector package says on it :
Universal Sound Card MIDI connector Cable (12 feet) which has :
On one end a Male connector (15 pin) which connects to the PC soundcard and also provides a female connector (15 pin) which can be used to plug the joystick.
On the other end there are 2 (5 pin) connectors marked MIDI OUT and other MIDI IN.

The keyboard of course has two connectors ( 5 pin )
marked MIDI OUT and the other MIDI IN.

would be very nice if any body can help me oout with this problem.

thanks - AJ

Re: midi lag-sound occurs with noticeable delay after key is pressed

Reply #1
Windows may still be using your soundcard or "Microsoft GS Software Synth" instead of your Yamaha keyboard as the MIDI playback device, which might produce a delay that your Yamaha should not produce.  Go to the Start tab, bottom left (usually) of your desktop, click Settings, then Control Panel.  Open up Multimedia and check what device your computer is using for MIDI playback, choose your joystick port if it is not appearing.  Also check in NoteWorthy's Options - Play and see what devices are available for playback.  Choose the Yamaha or the joystick port if it appears that way.  Also make sure "echo MIDI input to playback device" (MIDI thru) is checked.  Maybe someone else can explain it more clearly, since I'm not at my computer that has NoteWorthy at the moment, I'm at work! :)

Reply #3
hi,

firstly thanx Milton and NW online for your replies to my query.

Well Milton your reply doesn't make sense to me becoz the Yamaha keyboard is supposed to act as a triggering device and the PC is supposed to be the sound reproduction or playback device (along with the software).

Under my Midi output Devices (single instrument heading)
it has these options :
1. Microsoft GS Wavetable Software Synth
2. MIDI for Reality
3. Roland MPU-401
4. Wingroove

Its not the Yamaha which is producing the sound. Rather the PC which is producing the sound when i play a key on the YAMAHA and the note played by the PC is what is delayed.

i read the other related discussions and figured i should try the yamaha softsynth (SXG100). i have DirectX ver 9 on my PC.

any other help/explanations would be welcome, and thank you for your help already posted.

thats all - AJ.

Reply #4
The Yamaha SYXG-100 softsynth should give you virtually no delay if you go to its Setup and under Detailed Settings 1/2 select Direct Sound on, under Detailed Settings 2/2 push the Response Time slider all the way to Fast.  Also, Microsoft has DirectX 10 available for free download, search on their site for "DirectX".  You can use your Yamaha keyboard as your playback device as well as your MIDI input device.  In NoteWorthy Tools-Options-Record check the "Echo MIDI Input" box and under "Echo input to play device" select your Yamaha keyboard or the port to which it is attached.  Also under Tools-Options-MIDI choose "Devices used by playback" as the Yamaha keyboard or the port to which it is attached.  If you are wanting to run two or more MIDI programs at once, download MIDI-OX and MIDI Yoke and try that out. Good luck!

Reply #5
I have experienced a similar problem using win98 as well as NT and XP. This problem occurs with virtually evry midi program I have ever attempted to use. I have yet to solve this issue and it keeps me from integrating my computer into my studio. The lag on the midi input is about an eighth note at 120 bpm. My friend, who has a mac, has never experienced this problem. I have attempted to use a joystick to midi interface, the midiman USB interface, and the Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Interface, none have worked. I imagine there must be some setting or driver one can change or obtain that would remedy this problem. If anyone knows, please let me know.