Skip to main content
Topic: "Splitting" 2 song parts on one staff & using with SharpEye2 (Read 5715 times) previous topic - next topic

"Splitting" 2 song parts on one staff & using with SharpEye2

QUESTION 1.
If I have two song parts (e.g. the Soprano and Alto parts in a SATB choral piece) ALREADY written on a single
staff (as "two note chords"), is there any way in NoteWorthy to "split them" into two separate staffs?

I HAVE checked out and understand the concept of Layering. But this is only useful if writing music "from scratch". No good if the music isn't already layered. My older score program, QuickScore, allowed me to do this sort of "splitting", although it had lots of other problems and I gave it up.

The best I've come up with so far is to copy the complete "two-note" staff to a new staff and then laboriously delete the Soprano notes from one and the Alto notes from the other.

But surely there must be a better way?!

QUESTION 2.
On a second question: since I believe NoteWorthy is the best  score program around and SharpEye 2 seems to be the best OCR (or rather OMR) program around, does anyone know of a conversion utility between them? Of course we COULD go via MIDI but that loses so much info. Direct would be excellent.

Re: "Splitting" 2 song parts on one staff & using with SharpEye2

Reply #1
re: Question 1:

Drake Donahue has written a utility called "Chord Splitter" which can be used for the purpose you describe. It's available in the Helpful Files section of the NWC Scriptorium.

re: Question 2: Sorry, no direct conversion available at this time. You have to go via midi (as with the Chord Splitter above, for that matter).

Re: "Splitting" 2 song parts on one staff & using with SharpEye2

Reply #2
Midinotate will do the job O.K.Very easy to use.I have tried Sibelius and Cakewalk without success. I just want to check more of FAQ's before I download Noteworthy which is looking impressive at the moment.

(A free trial version is available via CLASSICAL MUSIC ARCHIVES.COM)