Skip to main content
Topic: keyboard accuracy (Read 6748 times) previous topic - next topic

keyboard accuracy

I'm sure this is something simple, but here goes...

I just downloaded the trial version, and attached it to a Yamaha SHS-10
keyboard (pretty inexpensive). Whenever I play on the keyboard, the notes show up
as all the same timing. Regardless of what I play, eighth notes (or sixteens, etc.) are all I get.
The software seems to ignore any timing. I can't imagine that I'd need to add all timing later?!
Oddly, when I add a new staff, I get to play whatever I want, and the notes show up correctly! Problem is that I then can't get rid of the earlier stuff I played, even when I delete the staff.

Needless to say, I must be doing something wrong. Isn't there a simple way to record what I play, and play it back without further editing?

Also - can I lower the sensativity? Even slightly sloppy playing (can't hear it, but it gets picked up) shows up as chords...

Thanks!

Re: keyboard accuracy

Reply #1
I'm probably not the best person to answer this, as I use the computer keyboard to enter notes, but I'll have a go and hope someone will enhance it if it needs it.

"Whenever I play on the keyboard, the notes show up as all the same timing. Regardless of what I play, eighth notes (or sixteens, etc.) are all I get. The software seems to ignore any timing."

If this is during step entry, then that makes perfect sense. If it is during "Record", then I can't explain it.

"Oddly, when I add a new staff, I get to play whatever I want, and the notes show up correctly! Problem is that I then can't get rid of the earlier stuff I played, even when I delete the staff."

What happens when you delete the first staff?

"Needless to say, I must be doing something wrong. Isn't there a simple way to record what I play, and play it back without further editing?"

For something rhythmic, create a new file using a Rhythm template (they're on the Song Templates dialog when you select File | New).
Then press Record and awaaaaay you go!

"Also - can I lower the sensativity? Even slightly sloppy playing (can't hear it, but it gets picked up) shows up as chords..."

Yes. Fiddle with the Import tab in Tools | Options.

As Eric would say, "Hope this helps."

Andrew

Reply #2
Both of you are already way ahead of me in scoring from the keyboard. I have an 88-key Roland EP-9 and an old 486 IBM PS/1 66Mhz PC with 24 megs of RAM. The sound card came with a diagnostics tool. I have tested both midi-in and midi-out (in Dos) but when I boot up NWC, I'm not able to even 'step' input. (The score will play on the piano though - midi-out.) I've checked the help screens in NWC, but I'm still stuck.
Any suggestions?

Reply #3
Two things to check:
1) Tools | Options.
Record tab.
Input device.
2) Midi Input Active is turned on.

Possible (3). I don't know if this has been changed, but in Tools | Options | Midi tab, you may need to check if Port Usage is set to Always or While Active to be able to read from the midi device. This may be a limitation due to Window's implementation of generic midi port usage, I'm not sure.

Andrew

Reply #4
My problem is similar but no matter what I do, the timing is always the same!!!!!! The "Record mode" won't stay on for more than about 1
second, and I don't know why! I created a new staff and
it's still on quarter (or whatever) timing. I have a Casio CTK-581 I input with.
Help!!! :(

Reply #5
The record feature is built on top of the playback feature, as explained in the help file, excerpted below:

The recording feature of NWC is built on top of the existing play back capabilities in the application. This feature allows a MIDI performance received from the MIDI input device to be recorded and captured while the current score is playing back. Recording is only possible when a score is open and is playing. If the current song is only three bars in length, then starting a recording will only allow up to three bars to be recorded. This is because recording and play back will both stop when the current song play back is finished.