Skip to main content
Topic: vibrato... (Read 2812 times) previous topic - next topic

vibrato...

For some reason, all my files are playing every note with vibrato. Even if the instrument is piano. And I didn't change the file. I just opened it and all of a sudden it was like that. What is going on?

Re: vibrato...

Reply #1
You may have played a file (either NWC or midi) with the "mod wheel" controller set to something other than zero. If your soundcard came with a way of resetting it, such as a button in its control panel applet, you can do that to restore it to normal operation. Otherwise, a reboot will do.

You can also put an mpc at the beginning and end of your NWC staves; Controller - Mod Wheel; Style - Absolute; "Initial" controller slider - 0; all other settings - don't matter.

Reply #2
@_@ Wha? I'm sorry...I'm not very smart. Can you explain all this in lamens terms please?

Reply #3
Shut down your computer and restart it. That should fix it.

Reply #4
MIDI synthesizers support a variety of "controllers" which can change the tonal characteristics of the sounds you hear. You probably played a song file that changed some of these controllers. You have two choices:

• You can try to reset the controllers using NWC, as in Fred's first suggestion (at the start of the staff, use the Insert|Multi-point Controller to change the Modulation Wheel setting).

• Usually, sound card synthesizers do not retain controller settings after they have been powered down. Using Fred's second suggestion, you can simply power down your computer, then restart it, and your settings should be back to normal defaults.

Reply #5
ok, I got it now. Thanks!