Skip to main content
Topic: How do I get instr.names of new fonts in NWC? (Read 10095 times) previous topic - next topic

How do I get instr.names of new fonts in NWC?

I just bought a SB Live card in order to import sound fonts into it. The card works OK. Loading down sound fonts into it works OK as well.  Great help from Ertugrul iNANÇ on 2002-04-01 (last year?).  But how do I get de names of instruments to show up in NWC and work?. I read something about "manipulating the NWCPATCH.INI file" but can't find it back. If Ertugrul reads this, I'm sure he can help.  Must say I'm pretty frustrated after hours of trying without result.

Jan

Re: How do I get instr.names of new fonts in NWC?

Reply #1
Not trying to steal Ertugrul's thunder, but I happen to be online...

ntwpatch.ini is simply a text file. You can open it in any text editor, even Notepad (or Word or Wordpad if you insist, but be sure to save it back as plain text when done).

The structure of the file will be quite apparent when you open it for editing. I'd suggest making a backup copy of the original just in case you get hopelessly befuddled. Make the additions/changes you like, then save it. That's really all there is to it.

It should be noted that editing ntwpatch.ini doesn't change the sounds per se, it only changes what you see when you select a particular instrument patch number.

Reply #2
As you start learning more about how this works, you could initially select your patches by number (select Numeric from the drop down box). If you settle on a bank of sounds that you like, you can then go to the trouble of making modifications to the NTWPATCH.INI file to include your new soundfont bank.

Reply #3
Refering to editing the NTWPATCH.INI, I've specified the name of the patch bank that i've loaded, but the program's playing sounds from general midi instead of from that. Is there anything out there that can give me a clue about how the patch list file works?