Skip to main content
Topic: Transpose for an E flat instrument (Read 16004 times) previous topic - next topic

Transpose for an E flat instrument

I have music in C and I need to transpose to an E flat instrument. How many semitones up or down do I need to go?
Is there somewhere I can find out all the instruments and how many semitones to transpose each one. My music group keeps adding
people who play different instruments and the music we have to work with is all in C.

Re: Transpose for an E flat instrument

Reply #1
Amy - Here's a few.
Alto Sax +9
Tenor Sax +14
Trumpet/Clarinet +2
Baritone Sax +21

Brass Band instruments are bit more difficult with Bb Eb octave transpositions.
Remember to place a C key signature in the staff before transposing.

Reply #2
I'll be ponderous 'cause I get confused.
Before you start make that nice c music safe somewhere and use a copy with a new name.
Assuming:
You wrote the music for a c instrument.
You printed it out and the c instrument played from the printed copy and the sound was right.
The c instrument played from your screen and the sound was right.
The computer played the piece and the sound was right.

Then proceed as follows:
Select the staff to transpose.
Tools/Force Accidentals (Should eliminate any key signature problems without rekeying to c)
Tools/Transpose Staff
Select plus 2 for any b flat instrument.(soprano,tenor sax)
Select plus 9 for any e flat instrument.(alto,baritone sax)
Select plus 11 for any f instrument.
Select plus 8 for any d instrument.
(If you have some other variant, say g, count f to g =2, add 11 + 2, get 13, subtract 12, get plus 1.)
Okay

If you have the computer play the transposed staff it should sound exactly the same as it did before you transposed although the notes will have moved.
If the non c player plays the transposed staff he should sound the same pitches as the computer and or c player playing the original staff. EXCEPT

The transposed staff may extend above or below the range of the non c instrument.
One of the following may apply:
1.Tools\Transpose Staff\ select plus or minus 12 to move all notes up or down an octave.
2.Move a few offending notes an octave to stay on scale.
3.Move all notes up by octave(s) to be on or above scale and tell the player to learn altissimo!

Make clef and key changes as needed.
Audit acidentals.
/desired and print.

Reply #3
A very comprehensive set of instructions Tavish. Two minor
comments;

> Tools/Force Accidentals (Should eliminate any
> key signature problems without rekeying to c)

If the music is in the key of C major you DO need to insert
the key signature (NWC signifies this with an F-natural)
before Force Accidentals - transpose - audit accidentals.
If you don't, when you audit accidentals in your transposed
music, NWC leaves the key as C major with the appropraite
accidentals notated in every bar.

> Make clef and key changes as needed.

NWC WILL automatically update the key signature when you
transpose and audit accidentals.

Reply #4
I play B flat clarinet, and i want to transpose the music so my friend can accompaney me on her alto sax.

Reply #5
How do i do that? As to the previous post i left

Reply #6
Tavish,

The correct transposition for Tenor Sax in Bb is up 14 semitones.
THEN if it is above the register of the instrument transpose down 12.

Similarly Baritone Sax in Eb is up 21 semitones.
If this is too high (and it probably always will be) transpose down an octave (or two)!

Reply #7
Mandy,

To convert your Clarinet music to concert (Piano) pitch transpose -2.
To convert from the concert pitch to Alto Sax transpose +9.

So to transpose direct from clarinet to Alto Sax the transposition is (-2+9)= +7 semitones.
And if this is too high for Alto then transpose down an octave (-12).

Reply #8
Not a reply, a question, how should I play all the alto sax music I'm given on my alto clarinet?  It doesn't seem to make the best of the instrument to play in the upper octave all the time.  Should it go down an octave?  How?
Thanks!!

Reply #9
Janene, the textbook answer is that Alto Clarinet transposes the same as Alto Sax, and that you should just play the notes as written.

But you've picked up on a deeper issue: every instrument has a set of registers, that work well for different situations.  You'll find differences of opinion about exactly what the registers are for each instrument, where they start and stop, and what their uses are.

Alto Sax is a good melodic instrument in the upper octave, or sometimes a second "trumpet" in small bands.  Alto Clarinet is probably better at these things down the octave, as you've suggested.  Playing in the "wrong" octave might not be the problem you think - tenor voices can easily sing a tune that a soprano would sing up an octave.  Because they're both singing in the same part of their range, it sounds OK.

On the other hand, if it's modal jazz it probably doesn't matter which octave - just learn to appreciate the unique sound of the upper octave of the lower clarinets!

Probably the best thing to do is try it and play whatever sound best, and suits the ensemble.

Reply #10
Janene - To answer your "how".

Assuming you have fed the Alto Sax parts into NWC.
Select the staff then Tools>Transpose and transpose the staff -12 (make sure the "Update Staff Playback" is NOT checked if you want to hear the staff in the correct octave).
Press F2 and select the Clarinet patch for the staff to hear a clarinet on playback.

Hope that is what you wanted.

Barry Graham
Top Brass Events Band
Melbourne, Australia
http://www.topbrass.com.au

Reply #11
How do I transpose a Bb contrabass clarinet part to E flat?  Do I go down 4 whole steps?  It seems kinda obvious, but I don't want to do it wrong. :P

Reply #12
Oops..didn't see the NWC part earlier.  May I ask where I can find that program?

Reply #13
This is a support forum for NWC. Click the Home link on any page of the forum to learn more.

Reply #14
How many whole and half steps do you go to transpose b flat to e flat?

I figure 2 1/2 steps. I am not sure if I am right.

Reply #15
2 and a half steps it is.

Bb to B(.5) to C(1) to Db(1.5) to D(2) to Eb(2.5).

You can always check by looking at the key signature - an e-flat instrument will always have one more sharp or one less flat than for a b-flat instrument.  So if the b-flat part is in C major, the e-flat part will be in G.  F on clarinet goes to C on alto sax, Bb on baritone sax is Eb on bass clarinet.

Reply #16
I am trying to transpose trumpet music for an alto saxophone.  Can anyone tell me the correct way to do this?
Thanks

Reply #17
Assuming the trumpet is in B-flat, transpose up 7 semi-tones.
Carl Bangs
Fenwick Parva Press
Registered user since 1995

Reply #18
You can always check the key signature to make sure you got it right.  An Eb part will have one more sharp or one less flat than a Bb part.

Reply #19
I think this will all be very helpful when I attempt to transpose my b flat trumpet band music to my old e flat cornet (purchased at an auction last Spring.)  My dream is to learn to transpose on the "fly" so I can play along with any b flat trumpet.  Wish me luck!