Skip to main content
Topic: so while i wait (Read 3761 times) previous topic - next topic

so while i wait

Hullo, so while I and many other people wait for noteworthy to implement a way of doing [even simple] jazz feature, i like to know how many programming people there are at noteworthy. i think it a very good program but a main use for me is tnot there.

good day,
Fokey.
[Chile]

Re: so while i wait

Reply #1
Fokey, the tone of your message sounds like you're impatient for Noteworthy to add a feature. It's still not clear to me what exactly you want it to do, but I'll guess and say that you're after a swung playback for duplets that are written "straight".
I've not heard of this as a planned feature, so it may be a while (say at least six months to a year) before it got implemented, if Eric saw it as a popularly requested feature.
I understand your frustration, and have myself felt that I was twiddling my thumbs whilst waiting for things I needed to be implemented, but they HAVE arrived, for a large part.
If you really need a notator that reads duplets as swing, I'm afraid you should look around a bit more and see what you can find. I think you'll find them fairly rare at this price, and I think may also find the level of support wanting, but good luck to you.

Regards,

Andrew

PS: Some of your previous posts appear garbled on my viewer. Do they do the same on yours?

Re: so while i wait

Reply #2
There is a shareware product called 'Mozart' written by a swing sax player/computer programmer that allows you to vary the swing feel of straight eighths on Midi playback. I tried it out, but frankly think NWC is a much better product.

From your questions I think you don't really understand what you're looking for. Playback of swing eighths is a seperate issue from syncopated rhythms. I have no problem writing syncopated rhythms with NWC. Swing eighths are rarely strictly written, and are usually notated as a 'style' which is to be interpeted. Kent Dugans reply to you was a very good explanation of swing eighths and the issues involved in incorporating them into midi playback and notation software. The only thing I'd add is that pulse/beat accents on the off beat are a part of the swing feel; and that the swing eighth feel varies with the tempo, more pronounced at slower tempos, less pronounced at fast tempos. The aforementioned author of 'Mozart' allowed variable quantification of swing eighths for that reason.