Skip to main content
Topic: Several (perhaps already asked) questions...... (Read 3339 times) previous topic - next topic

Several (perhaps already asked) questions......

OK- I haven't had a chance to check out NWC's online forum for a while so here are my specific questions:
1. Since I last asked about grace notes (at the time I just wrote them in), from what I can tell, there is a way to notate them now? What do I have to do to get this feature? Do I download something?
2. I am currently taking a jazz arranging course. How do I notate at the top that I want something swung beyong writing "swing." I'm looking for a means of writing beamed eigth notes equal quarter/ eighth under a triplet beam. Is this possible?
3. Again related to the jazz course..... when I write piano, bass, or guitar parts, is there a way for me to write the slashes (////) under the chord instead of putiing a whole rest in every measure and writing in the slashes?
4. I also have a few specific percussion questions. I have figured a means to put the percussion clef (||) at the beginning of the piece. How do I get it to be at the beginning of every staff? Is there a way to make it an "official" clef?
5. (I think this is the last one)How so I notate the noteheads (x)with a stem when writing for percussion?

I want to let you know that I really like this product. I have spent a lot of time working with Finale, and not only is it outrageously expensive, but it leaves me with too much room for error. My final printouts (which is the important part) on NWC are MUCH better!!!! Thanks for your help and for tolerating my dumb questions. -Kelly

Re: Several (perhaps already asked) questions......

Reply #1
>1. Since I last asked about grace notes (at the time I just wrote them in), from what I can tell, there is a way to notate them now? What do I have to do to get this feature? Do I download something?

Yes. Download the beta for version 1.5 from www.ntworthy.com
(Look for the star ... sorry couldn't resist at this time of year :)

>2. I am currently taking a jazz arranging course. How do I notate at the top that I want something swung beyong writing "swing." I'm looking for a means of writing beamed eigth notes equal quarter/ eighth under a triplet beam. Is this possible?

Actually 1.5 lets you use different fonts for text, so you could now do it textually, though it may in fact be easier to notate it in grace notes in the first space above the stave (with an interstitial "=" using the text tool), and turn the volume down before it and back up again afterwards. Of course, the drawback here is having the times all screwed up, though with grace notes, you may be lucky and have no trouble). The grace notes funciton was also intended for cue notes.

>3. Again related to the jazz course..... when I write piano, bass, or guitar parts, is there a way for me to write the slashes (////) under the chord instead of putiing a whole rest in every measure and writing in the slashes?

Nope, though related requests have been logged on the wish list. SO ya never know.

>4. I also have a few specific percussion questions. I have figured a means to put the percussion clef (||) at the beginning of the piece.

Yeah? Please share it!

>How do I get it to be at the beginning of every staff? Is there a way to make it an "official" clef?

Now isn't that funny, 'cos I thught I'd read somewhere that new clefs were to be added, but I can't see any evidence in this beta release.

>5. (I think this is the last one)How so I notate the noteheads (x)with a stem when writing for percussion?

Not possible yet, though it seems an easy thing to retrofit. Put it on the wish list to make sure that Eric knows that someone wants it.

>Thanks for your help and for tolerating my dumb questions.

Hey, I can _answer_ those ones! :-)

Andrew

Re: Several (perhaps already asked) questions......

Reply #2
Kelly - I agree that NoteWorthy Composer makes notation easier than some of those higher priced products.
But it does lack a few important symbols and options necessary for the production of dance band,jazz and swing parts.
Please add all your wishes to the wish list - it seems the most wished-for items are the most likely to be included in future upgrades.
Your wishes wont be ignored - the support staff do try to satisfy user needs.
Do you have any scores that you have created - interested in trading?