Skip to main content
Topic: Grace notes and Slurs (Read 7916 times) previous topic - next topic

Grace notes and Slurs

I have searched through previous posts but have not been
able to figure out how to create a slur from a grace
note to the following (normal) note. Is this possible ?

Regards,
Nigel

Re: Grace notes and Slurs

Reply #1
Hi Nigel, just highlight the grace note and hit the 'slur' button on your NWC controls at the top of the NWC panel.

Reply #2
Hank,

The figure I am trying to notate is a grace note with upward
stem followed by a beam containing 4 1/16'th notes
typeset with downward stems.

When I highlight the grace note and press the slur button I get a large slur symbol that starts aprox 6 stave lines below the grace note ( on the fifth line ) and which extents to the horizontal position of the second note in the beamed notes.

This happens when the grace note is not entered as a grace note but as a single 1/8'th note as well. If the stem direction of the isolated note is changed to downwards a slightly more reasonablepresentatation results.

When I try to beam a grace note to a individual quaver (1/4 note)I get a slur which starts a line and a half below the grace noteand which extends to the right of the quavers note head. Thereare various other combinations which yeld unsatisfactory results.

This particular idiom appears frequently in the piece of Bach I am attempting to typeset. Without it I cannot do what I want to do. Is it possible ?

Regards,

Nigel.

Reply #3
Would setting the slur direction upward help?

Reply #4
Nigel, I tried the grace note/16th note combo you mentioned.
I get a farily small slur sign which encompasses the grace note and the first 16th note.  Can you e-mail me a file of what you are getting?

Hank (the.shadow3@juno.com) Robertson

Reply #5
If it is to eventually end up on paper, leave out the unwieldy slurs and draw them in by hand on the finished product. This way you can control the size and position of the slur. I am reminded of the American Space program which spent millions of dollars developing a pen that could write upside down, under water, in zero gravity, anywhere in any circumstance. The Russian space program, not having nearly the resources or money available issued their cosmonauts pencils.

Reply #6
If the final product is to be printed, you could leave out the unwieldy grace note slurs and simply draw them in manually, ensuring proper length, arc and compactness. The problem is solvable with a felt pen. I am reminded of the American space program spending millions of dollars developing a pen that could write in zero gravity, under water, upside down, in any and all conditions. The Russian space program, having much less money and resources available, issued their Cosmonauts pencils.

Reply #7
The font set NWC Extra Ornaments v3 has a small slur, the lower case c.  You can assign that font to user1, for example, and experiment with font size.

Reply #8
The Scriptorium has a font "NWslurs" with a large selection of slurs, usable as text items, if you don't like the slurs that NWC auto-inserts.

Reply #9
That NWslurs font isn't as good as it's cracked up to be.
When is NWC going to have proper slurs native to the program?

Reply #10
I didn't think NWslurs was very good, either (I created it!).

Whether or not NWC will ever have tilted slurs is anyone's guess. But if you don't mind simple alteration of WMFs, you can do it now. Slurs are easy to select, since they rarely overlap other notation, and they are easy to rotate and scale.