Skip to main content
Topic: Default volume for ppp, pp, ..., ff, fff (Read 10965 times) previous topic - next topic

Default volume for ppp, pp, ..., ff, fff

Is it possible to change the default MIDI values for ppp, pp, ..., ff, fff?
Are these values percentages or absolute values?
Are they linear or are they rather tuned to the logarithmic
perception of our ear?.

The volume for ppp pp and p is too much low.
If you increase the volume so you can hear it, then
you get almost scared (!!) when you get to a mf.
This a also a real problem with choral polyphony works,
because the difference of volume between chords in p
and mf is very exaggerated.

The "Override Default MIDI value" is not a solution because
it overrides the volume for the whole staff not only for the piano parts.
Even using this option the volume for ppp is too much low.

-Joan.

Re: Default volume for ppp, pp, ..., ff, fff

Reply #1
Is it possible to change the default MIDI values for ppp, pp, ..., ff, fff?

Unfortunately, no.  This would be a good feature to have as different sound cards respond differently.  Also non-percussive instruments - wind/string etc. have the capability of changing volume during a note - to make this happen with a standard dynamic variance, the note loundnesses need to be defined by channel volume rather than by NWCs default of midi velocity.

I recommend you visit the wish list with a suggestion to allow adjustment of the defaults.

My workaround is to create a new file (I call it my crib sheet) which contains all the dynamic markings including volume/midi velocity.  I can then copy/paste the marking from the crib sheet to the score I am working on rather than using the normal toolbar button.

Regards linearity, Fred Nachbaur did some experimentation on this.  I think there should be something in the NG archives.

Stephen

Re: Default volume for ppp, pp, ..., ff, fff

Reply #2
If the exact playback volume is the issue, you can always make the visible dynamic signs as text additions and add the sounding ones either as invisible dynamics or multi-point controllers.