Skip to main content
Topic: Mp3 to sheet music (Read 4076 times) previous topic - next topic

Mp3 to sheet music

is there any way that i can convert an mp3 into sheet music?

Re: Mp3 to sheet music

Reply #1
1. Get a pencil and some staff paper.
2. Play the mp3.
3. while listening very carefully to the mp3, write what you hear.
Presto! Mp3 to sheet music!

Reply #2
Ryan's reply is authoritative. This question (converting from an audio file type such as WAV or MP3) to a symbolic instruction type (such as MIDI or sheet music) often appears. Can't be done automatically.

Reply #3
ok thats what i thought, thanks.

Reply #4
Perhaps it will be possible soon... but likely to be very inaccurate!

I have used Finale2002 (demo) which allows you to record via a microphone and it automatically scores it. I tried it with my trumpet and it seemed to work ok as long as you are able to play with absolute precision (and I mean absolute - including perfect intonation)!

It seems able to recognise multiple parts, but the amount of time you spend correcting errors as usually greater than if you entered the whole thing by manually.

Reply #5
A few months ago, I came across an inadequately-executed but basically good-idea program for the devilish audio-to-score thing.

The program made use of existing FFT spectrum analysis, with the result displayed on a horizontal time axis and vertical pitch axis. So far, routine. But the vertical axis was scaled to correspond to musical pitches, and the horizontal axis could be scaled to correspond to user-selected multiples of a "beat."

The intelligent user would look at the display, and place glyphs corresponding to notes. This was not automated. The user had to realize that the strongest frequency was the fundamental note, and that the rest were overtones. Or, that there was a chord, as the case may be. The User also had to be able to recognize transitions and timing variations that differed from the beat.

When all the glyphs were placed, the program would interpret them as notation, and create a simple MIDI file.

It seems like the method ought to work for one instrument, or even one loud instrument among others. Basically, it is just a graphical method of doing what a musician already does by ear.

It tried it with solo voice, and was able to distinguish the individual notes.

The program was too buggy to be useful, though.

Reply #6

Search this very forum with keywords "wav to midi" and "mp3 to midi". There have been long and to some extent fruitful conversations over the years.