Skip to main content
Topic: 2 questions (Read 4100 times) previous topic - next topic

2 questions

1.In the nwc file of J.S.Bach's tocatta and fugue in D minor that needs the Jeux soundfount, there are some German words That I don't know. Hauptwerk and oberwerk. could anyone explain their meanings please.  Also, I  don't have Jeux installed on my computer (It seems  almost impossible!) And when oberwerk comes up it completely changes sound. It sounds like bells!

2.Is Rachmaninoff's cadenza for hungarian rhapsody no. 2 by Liszt copyright protected? If not where can I find free sheet music for it.

Thanks,
Simon Carroll

Re: 2 questions

Reply #1
>Is Rachmaninoff's cadenza for hungarian rhapsody no. 2 by Liszt copyright protected?

Sergei Rachmaninoff died in 1943. Since that's more than 50 years ago, copyright has lapsed in most jurisdictions (but you should check!)

I'm not sure of the source of the file you're talking about. You would need to ask the source for details about the MIDI mappings or sound fonts required to play it back

Hauptwerk "Chief work" - refers to the main manual of a great organ

oberwerk "upper work" - refers to the upper manual

You could try changing the instruments assigned to the staves according to the sounds available on your system.

Reply #2
Dunno where you live. In the U.S., if something was published before 1923, its copyright has expired: but no more copyrights will expire for another 20 years. In the UK, I understand that the copyright is death-of-author + 75 years. Elsewhere, The DOA+75 deal is widely accepted by international treaty. In short, you'll probably have to move to a remove third-world country to be able to copy the work in question.

Caveat emptor: IANAL and YMMV.

Reply #3
The first question to ask is, do you have a soundfont compatible sound card (probably a creative labs awe32 or awe64 or Live! or Audigy)? Because if not, you won't get the sounds built into it, indeed you will not be able to load it in a useable way (unless you have a software program that can use it - some of the expensive sequencers can support soundfonts even if you don't have a soundblaster card. So check this first. If you do have a compatible sound card, you have to load the soundfont in the correct manner or it will still not work. The easy method of doing this has (I believe) been posted on the forum earlier this year, so do a search on "soundfonts".

The german words are the normal terms used in that country to describe the different divisions on an organ (and are also used in other enlightened countries when classical european organs are built). Hauptwerk loosely corresponds to the Great division on an English organ (basic foundation stops, fairly loud, no fancy mutations and only rarely containing reeds). The Oberwerk does not have a direct equivalent in any other tradition of organ building, being (roughly speaking) a smaller and quieter version of the Hauptwerk, normally placed quite high up (hence the name "over-work"). So I suppose there might be an equivalent in the English "echo" organ after all. Neither division would be enclosed.

Do you know I downloaded the Jeux soundfont and have tried a few sounds via my Yamaha (plugged into the midi port) but have not yet tried the compositions specially made up for it? Maybe I now will!

Reply #4
I try to install it but it is in a format that can't be read by audio HQ.

Reply #5
Is it possible that the soundfont you downloaded is zipped in rar format? If zipped it needs to be un-zipped before loading.