Skip to main content
Topic: Producing standard notation from imported existing performance (Read 4429 times) previous topic - next topic

Producing standard notation from imported existing performance

Hi,

I'm interested in producing standard notation from an existing performance, and if understand correctly, NWC can do that if I import the performance as a midi.  Currently, all my recordings are in mp3 format, but assuming I can convert them to midi, what type of notation can I expect?

For instance, will it print bass *and* treble clef in typical (over & under) form, with chord spellings as well?  Forgive me if this sounds elementary, but I've never used NWC before.  Thanks!

Re: Producing standard notation from imported existing performance

Reply #1
Use the search link to look for mp3 import.

Reply #2
Search for
mp3 import
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No Matches Found

Reply #3
Sorry Bob, but that was the first thing I tried.  Otherwise I would not have bothered posting.

Reply #4
I think Bob was probably referring to the forum search, which shows as a Quick Search in the forum index, and as the search function included in the new message post form. It shows at least one thread that discussed this topic, along with this thread as well.

In short, NWC will not import your MP3 files. MP3 files are compressed digital audio files that represent samples of actual sound. Someone here on the forum once compared the process of turning MP3/WAV to NWC/MIDI to turning a cake back into its original ingredients. There are some tools that can convert simplistic audio samples to MIDI, but nothing that can do it for multi-instrument song samples (the likely scenario you are asking about).

For more details, use the forum search to look for "WAV to MIDI" and "MP3" search terms.

Reply #5
Thanks NW Online.  I really wasn't worried about the mp3 to midi conversion as much as I was curious about the resulting format of the notation.  I really didn't *think* that NWC could produce multi-instrument notation, but if it could, I sure wanted it!  Thanks also for the search tip.  That did the trick.  :)

Reply #6
Yes, you can import MIDI files. It is not as good as manually notating a piece, but it is a good start. You can see the kind of results that are possible by using either the free NoteWorthy Player or the evaluation version of NoteWorthy Composer.

Reply #7
Ditto.

Reply #8
I do this all the time - import MIDI files, mainly from classical midi archives, change them to NWC files, and then arrange the resulting score for various small ensembles I play in. It's a fair bit of work to make them into accurate professional-looking scores and parts, but it's still a lot easier than entering every note by hand. Often the more basic midi files will import best to NWC - the extras that make a midi file sound like a real performance just confuse or clutter things when they're turned into a score again. If you'd like any help or examples, post here or email me: mcfarvan[at]glinx[dot]com.