Skip to main content
Topic: Keyboard Latency (Read 3193 times) previous topic - next topic

Keyboard Latency

I have used Notworthy for years with a keyboard and never had trouble with latency. I now have a new PC that is theoretically 10 times faster than my old one, and much to my surprise I now have a huge time lag. After I press a key both the notation and sound appear about a half second later! I am using a Roland PC 70 - it is just a controller. The PC sound card is on-board from SIS. What should I try first?

Re: Keyboard Latency

Reply #1
Check the options of your sound drivers/interface.
If it is like the Yamaha Sound programs, you can set preferences to make sound quicker (hence with less quality).
Or try with a daughter-board as sound card.
Your PC can be 1000 times faster, the bus (where the data AND the program go through) is still limited.

HTH!

Reply #2
I had exactly the same problem with my new PC which had on-board sound (AC97) on the motherboard. I solved this by getting a Soundblaster live card, which to my ears has practically no latency, and also allows me to use Soundfonts (which was actually the main reason for getting the card). My previous PC had a Creative 5880 chip on board which also had no latency, so you might look into this for your next (!) PC.

There are other good reasons for getting a separate sound card such as environment, multi-speaker support, etc, which most on-board sound chips can't do.

I bought my SB live for £39 inc VAT (OEM version) and haven't looked back - it's brilliant. I couldn't justify the Audigy (don't need the features), I just wanted to download organ soundfonts (and mellotron if I can find them) and play them from the yamaha.

Reply #3
i am using a program called fruity loops and my controller is an xp80 and im using a sound blaster platinum live. and i have about a half sec latency problem...would anyonw know how 2 fix this

Reply #4
what is fruity loops?

Reply #5
fruity loops is a software-synthesizer, thats capable of synths, drums, midi input and output. There's other programs like this like Rebirth, Reason, and Orion. All of these are capable of hosting VSTs and plugins like Cubase or Cakewalk. I would make sure your driver is an ASIO driver. These are the best for minimizing latency.

Reply #6
I solved it by setting the sound output to the DirectSound interface ... Hope this help you ...

Bye

Reply #7
I need to know how to have my Roland PC-70 be recognized by my fruity loops3.5.  Do I need to buy a sound card? What am I doing wrong?

Reply #8
I had the same problem, which is how I ended up on this board.  After experimenting a bit, I set the computers MIDI output to go to the External Port, and hence back to the keyboard.  There is no appreciable delay now.