Skip to main content
Topic: Yamaha SYXG-70 Doesn't work in Windows XP (Read 6834 times) previous topic - next topic

Yamaha SYXG-70 Doesn't work in Windows XP

I just recently installed Windows XP on my computer and the Yamaha synthesizer won't work.
Does anyone know where I can get new drivers or patches to fix this problem?  I really want my high quality midi sound back.

Re: Yamaha SYXG-70 Doesn't work in Windows XP

Reply #1
Keep checking back at the Yamaha Softsynth site. Versions for XP are apparently in the works, quoting:

"The S-YXG50 will support Windows(R) XP
The trial version and key program will be available soon. (The current version supports only Windows(R) 95/98/Me.)"

No such mention is made for the S-YXG20 or S-YXG100.

Reply #2
It seems to depend which Yamaha website you go to. Having already come to the conclusion that there was nothing available for XP yet, I stumbled over this link:

http://www.yamaha.co.uk/xg/html/midplug/m_mid8.htm

It's for the SYXG-50. I've downloaded but not tried yet (I'm at work and want it for home!).

Reply #3
Now back home - SYXG-50 version 4 works fine on WinXP!

Reply #4
But darn it all I want the SYXG100 version to work.
it burns my hide that I paid $60 to get a good midi synth and they wait this long to come out with a XP version.  and I still have to wait till they make a XP version for SYXG100!!!

Errr... why?

Reply #5
I have the XP version of the SYXG-50 also but it seems that no matter how I configure NWC I can't get it to play back thru the XG softsynth. I can play my XG mids in media player and other programs just fine. I am using NWC in evaluation mode and I think I want to purchase it but not if I can't get it to play XG mids correctly.

TIA

Gary

Reply #6
Gary:

Would you clarify your question? Are you trying to use the Yamaha synth while your NWC file is being played within NWC (that is, with the notes visible on screen)? Or, is it that case that you first saved a MIDI file from NWC, and you can't get the Yamaha synth to play it?

Reply #7
I have XG midi files that I import into NWC but when I play them back it does not sound the same as it does when I use Media Player, Winamp or my XG Player. For example, I have a midi file that has synthesized whale and porpoise vocals. It plays fine thru the aforementioned players but in NWC those voices sound like plucked piano strings. I do have my NWC output directed to the softsynth. In that same vein, will NWC allow me to put in SYSEX codes?

TIA

Gary

Reply #8
Unless I'm mistaken, all those other players simply use whatever device you've got set in the midi mapper. So, if you set NWC to use the midi-mapper, the exact same device should be used.

Re: sysex, no. NWC doesn't support this at the present time.

Reply #9
Found the problem. NWC is stripping the SYSEX commands out of the file so any commands using SYSEX are lost. Do you know if there are any plans for NWC to support SYSEX?