Skip to main content
Topic: How to make it fit? (Read 3104 times) previous topic - next topic

How to make it fit?

I want to put all 12 keys Major scale on one page, each key one Staff, C, G, F, D.....etc, from upper to low.

Because the staff is too small, I increase the staff size (in point) From Page Setup - Option. I increase the point from 16 to 22 (or 20, 21,..whatever).  However, the first staff (C Major scale) come down to the middle of the page when I print it out or Print Review. I expect it should be on top.

If I reduce teh staff size in point. it's OK but too small on a A4 size paper.

How can I make all these 12 staffs good fit to one page when I print it out?

Thanks.

Re: How to make it fit?

Reply #1
Only so many staves will fit on a page - if you must have 12 staves in a readable print size, you might use legal sized paper.

If not, you can adjust the spacing above and below each staff as well - use F2 on each staff, set the vertical size. The smaller the setting, the more staves can appear.

You may also want to adjust your margin sizes (Alt-F, page setup) re the front page, or pages.

Or just print in a smaller font.  Anything down to about size 8 is readable.

Reply #2
Hi Angle Tears,
I just tried with 12 staves at size 24, with vertical sizes upper=10 and lower=10, and I can't see any problem (I use A4 paper since I'm in France). How many octaves do you use per scale? With one or too, no problem for me. Maybe the font size of your title (font "Page Title Text") is too big? with a TimesNewRoman Bold 24, it's ok.
You can also play with the margins.

Oh, and why do you say "all 12 keys major scales"? They are not 12, but 15: C, C#, D, D# or Eb, E, F, F# or Gb, G, Ab, A, Bb, B or Cb. (They are all present in NWC.)
Not counting double sharps (how many sharps in G sharp major? cf https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=432.msg10742#msg10742) nor double flats ;^)
To make 15 staves available on A4 paper, you should adjust the vertical size (without changing the "staff size in points"). It's in the Visual tab in the staff properties (F2).

Hope this helps!

Reply #3
Marsu,
Thanks for saying not 12, but 15.
Many musicians so often neglect this fact.
Playing in the key of C flat is entirely different from playing in the key of B.
And lest we not forget A flat minor vs. G sharp minor...

Reply #4
D# major? I think not, bur Db major is a key in NWC so your count is correct!

Reply #5
Oops! Thank you Peter. D# major would have 5 sharps and 2 double sharps... which is too much for me!
So the correct list is: C, C# or Db, D, Eb, E, F, F# or Gb, G, Ab, A, Bb, B or Cb. Sorry!