Skip to main content
Topic: Selecting alternate drum sets (Read 4661 times) previous topic - next topic

Selecting alternate drum sets

I am running Windows 95, have a Creative Labs Sound Blaster
AWE32 to which I have added 8mb of memory. I have a need to
use the Brush set, Program #41, but cannot figure out how to
do it. I'm using channel ten as required, then under the
Midi tab, clicked Change, and turned on 'Select...' and
entered both 41 and 5248 (41*128, as I read in a Forum
entry). I still cannot get the brush sounds. Could someone
please provide explicit and details for getting these
sounds? I'll apologize in advance if I've missed them in a
Forum entry or Help File. Thanks!

Re: Selecting alternate drum sets

Reply #1
Hi!
I had the same problem, but the answer I got was that you got to get a new soundcard. Are you teting chanel 16 instead of 10. I refer to Andrew or Eric who usually knows most of these matters
Good luck!
Christian

Reply #2
I am not familiar with the AWE32, so I cannot explicitly say what is required. Does the AWE32 manual/documentation indicate that MIDI Bank Select is used to access the brush set? If so, version 1.31d or later of NWC should work using the procedure described. Have you tried exporting to MIDI and see if it works? Do you have an example MIDI file that demonstrates what you want? If you, it would help if you could send it in an e-mail to us.

Reply #3
Per the manual (listed below):

"In the GS synthesizer mode, you can select any drum kit out of a selection of 10 drum kits (which include s the Standard drum kit) to play through MIDI channel 10. The choice of more drum kits offers you the flexibility to listen to songs with a wider variety of percussion instruments.

"Each drum kit is essentially an instrument that you can select in the same way you select a melodic instrument. For example, to select the TR-808 drum kit, all you need to do is specify the Prg# as 26 in MIDI channel 10. All percussion sounds will then be played back using the TR-808 drum kit."

If the AWE32 manual is correct, you should not be using Bank Select, as you descroibe above. Rather, you should simply be sending a patch change to the drum channel, which will trigger the necessary drum kit. You do this in the same way as any other instrument patch on the other channels. Simply select the 0 or 1 based patch list in order to select by number.