Skip to main content
Topic: Midi sounds bad (Read 4054 times) previous topic - next topic

Midi sounds bad

Hi, I just upgraded my computer and added Windows XP *comming from ME* but i am still using the same sound card, a Sound Blaster Live. Midi used to soudn AWESOME on my old ME computer with the same sound card but now on XP it sounds...well...like crap, and extremely fake.

Is it just the sound card drivers for XP that are making it sound horrible?

Are there patches I can install to get some more realistic sounds that dont cost money? I do pretty much nothing but compose all day *orchestral* and I cant bare to listen when midi sounds this bad!

What do you guys do and are there any tips for me so I can get my old midi sounds back or find some new realistic ones?

Thank you!

Jordan

Re: Midi sounds bad

Reply #1
btw, if you suggest installing new sound fonts, where can I find some good orchestra/wind sound fonts and how do I install them?

Reply #2
Go to Tools | Options | Midi tab and, one by one, select from the available devices in the left pane, moving it to the right pane (there should be only one device in the right pane at any given time). This should help you find the device that you formerly used before volunteering as a microsoft beta tester. :-p

Alternately, select Midi Mapper as your "device" (making this the only entry) and select the different available devices one by one in the Midi Mapper dialog (Control Panel | Multimedia | Midi tab | Single Instrument button).

Reply #3
can someone tell me where to get sound fx of midi.  my phone has ringers that are midi extensions.  i wanna get high pitch midi sounds.  like a bottle rocket sound or a whistle;  something high pitch.