Skip to main content
Topic: 1st Time bars (Read 5143 times) previous topic - next topic

1st Time bars

How do I create first time bars?
I really need to know because I need to create them for my piece.

Re: 1st Time bars

Reply #1
I assume you are talking about what NWC calls 'special endings', where a repeated section of music has different endings. There is a tool on the toolbar named 'insert special ending' it looks like the numbers 1,2 with the line above/beside it (as you would see in the music). Using this tool you can select via a series of check boxes, which endings you want this section to apply to - so for a first time bar you would just select '1st ending'.
If this is not what you meant, my apologies, but this is the only thing I could think of that was known as 'first time bars'.
Joy

Reply #2
You may also refer to the samples that come with NWC. all the REPEAT#.NWC are worthy, as well as the other ones.

Reply #3
Aren't 'first time bars' those places that your friends take you to?

Reply #4
Speaking of "Special endings", it would be nice to have the so-called "default ending" without a bloomin' great "D" stuck in the middle of it, so that I can insert my own text, such as "last time", or "Go straight to here if the saxophonist's teeth false teeth fall out"..........

Incidentally, like the original enquirer, I've always heard this feature called "first time bar", "second time bar", etc

Reply #5
In western Canada I've only ever heard the expressions First Ending, Second Ending, etc., in about 40 years of playing band and pit orchestra music under many conductors, but our new conductor, recently arrived from Britain, says First Time Bar, Second Time Bar, etc.  It's just a different dialect.

Same as when he says Crotchet I think of a grumpy person, not a quarter note (if that's what it is?).

Reply #6
So when he talks about a semi-breve, I guess you guys think he means a very short breath........