Skip to main content
Topic: A funny thing happened on the way to the forum (Read 8891 times) previous topic - next topic

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum

I thought I had posted this, but I guess is fell by the wayside.

Until a few days ago, when I came to the forum from the NWC home page it would open with the threads sorted by most recent post.  How I convinced it to do this, I do not remember.  However, a few days ago it started opening with the threads sorted by initial post.  This may have coincided with the new links mentioned in the "what's new" list.  At about the same time it seemed to have lost its memory (this is in NetScape 4.79) of which threads I had viewed and which I had not, and the display changed once I had it sorted by most recent post, with the thread opening at the bottom rather than the top.

Have I simply inadvertently deleted some bit of information, say a cookie?  Or is this a change in the behavior of the forum?

Cyril

Re: A funny thing happened on the way to the forum

Reply #1
This is a change in the forum. The news headline is news headline #10.

Reply #2
Pity.

Reply #3
Please elaborate...

Reply #4
I just find it more useful to have the forum open sorted by most-recently-posted.  I know that I can add another(!) bookmark to go directly to the forum, in that mode, but my habits are currently ingrained to first check the NWC home page for "what's new", the click to the forum.  Am I missing something which I did previously to cause it to open in my preferred mode?

Cyril

Reply #6
I gotta go with Cyril on this.  It was better the other way.

Reply #7
I knew there was a way using a separate bookmark (thanks, Fred, for the details, as I may have to go that way), but that makes what was a one-click operation into several clicks, i.e., instead of find-bookmark, open NWC, check "what's new", then click "forum", I now must to the start, then back to find-bookmark, open forum.  Since my bookmarks are a bit disorderly (shame on me) getting to either of the above involves going three levels down in the bookmark tree.

I vote for the old way as well (as I "hinted" above).

Cyril

Reply #8
I like the old way, too -- the forum seem so much more active if nothing else...

Reply #9
I also noticed that the old HTML pages are back for the threads. Why? Didn't you change that so that IE users could tell if they had seen the whole thread?

Reply #10
>old HTML pages are back

The links may use *.htm, but they are not the old pages.

>I just find it more useful to have the forum open sorted by most-recently-posted

Point taken. We are trying to strike a balance between search engine needs and user needs. The forum will now be shown sorted by most recent activity if you have established your identity from the help page.

Reply #11
HUZZAH!  (As everyone said in my copy of "The Swiss Family Robinson")

I thank you, raised to what ever power is appropriate to the effort, plus a few.

Cyril

Reply #12
The button on the help page that should read Establish my identity actually says Establish my identify.
Oops...

Reply #13
Thanks for the report.

Reply #14
>The links may use *.htm, but they are not the old pages

What I ment was the old extention, not actually the old pages. Getting rid of the HTML pages make the forum untrackable by Goggle. If they are just masked php pages, then that's fine, but otherwise we will be tracked once again...