Skip to main content
Topic: Composition Forum? (Read 3276 times) previous topic - next topic

Composition Forum?

Anyone know of a forum for beginning composers to exchange ideas, critique each other's work, etc.? I'd love to get feedback of others around my level (and of those who perhaps wouldn't mind stooping to it). I don't think that's appropriate for the NWC Forum here and I haven't really noticed any place else... I briefly checked out ntworthy.nwc newsgroup from the Scriptorium, but I have no experience with newsgroups (just web forums) and the whole thing left me crying in the corner. Well, maybe not that bad, and perhaps I'll look there again... But it'd be nice to have something dedicated specifically to original compositions and arrangements. NWC-centric would be ideal, but that's not crucial... I know the web is swarming with poetry sites of this sort (though quite a few of them, to put it nicely, "raw"). Anyone know of one for composition?

-m

Re: Composition Forum?

Reply #1
The NWC newsgroup is probably just about the friendliest group you'll find anywhere. Being on a private server makes it considerably more immune to the spam- and flame-fests that seem to be a perennial bane of usenet groups.

On usenet, there's rec.audio.compose, which is ok if you have a thick skin and can stand the select few who hang out there and think they own the place.

Reply #2
rec.music.compose is also the 'standard' usenet group for that purpose. But, as Fred said, "if you have a thick skin".

Several good composers with lots of trolls hang there side by side. Just lurk for a month or so and you'll see.

Hth

PS: I'm not Dwight Schultz. Just feling lazy to log in...

Reply #3
Hmm.... I'll probably try to figure out NWC newsgroup some more, then.... I guess I've got one main question, maybe someone can help me with it: I seem to be getting a lot of Re: threads without the original message. Is this just because I'm new to the group? Is there any way to find the originals? I'm using Outlook Express, and, as I've mentioned before, know nothing about it (I haven't even used POP mail in ages)... Thanks in advance =).

-m

Reply #4
Well, you have to start somewhere... this newsgroup isn't purged very often, so there will be many thousands of messages still on the server. There should be an option in your newsreader somewhere to "download all message headers" or something to that effect. Sorry I can't be more specific, I'm not an Outlook user.

But rather than trying to read everything that's presently on the server, I'd suggest just catching up on the more recent activity for now, and "lurking" until you feel comfortable to jump in and participate.

See ya there!
Fred

Reply #5
  • Right click "ntworthy.nwc" on the left panel,
  • From "Properties" get to the "Local file" tab,
  • Click "Reset"
All headers and message bodies will be deleted and tens of thousands of posts will reappear.

Hth,
[Guess who]

Reply #6
You will probably also want to look at the following:

Tools | Options | Read | News | Get <####> headers at a time