Skip to main content
Topic: Lyrics Font Color (Read 6901 times) previous topic - next topic

Lyrics Font Color

I'd like to print my song with the music notation in black and the lyric lines in blue. Is it true that NWC 1.75 does not allow this? The lyrics font dialog has no color selecton in it. Is there another way?

Thanks,
Wilm

Re: Lyrics Font Color

Reply #1
Unfortunately, that's impossible. Defining various lyric fonts in different colours, fontfaces and sizes would be good, indeed.

Why dont't you just wish for it so that it might be granted?

Hth

Reply #2
Not so fast!  Use the layering option!
From the Staff|Staff Properties dialog (or press F2), on the Visual tab, select Highlight 1 (or 2 or 3).  Also, check the box for "Layer with next staff."  Enter all of your notes for the staff, and enter all of your lyrics into the Staff Lyrics dialog.  Copy your entire finished staff, create a new staff, paste onto the new staff.  Go to File|Page Setup and check Allow Layering (on the Contents tab).  Go to Tools|Options (Color Tab) and select blue for Highlight 1.
PRESTO!

Reply #3
Hey, you're right! Good candidate for a User Tip.

Reply #5
Ah, measure numbers are blue, too.  Sorry, didn’t realize.  Hmmm..
OK, how about this:  Three layered staves, top staff black, middle staff blue (with the lyrics), bottom staff black.

Reply #6
Before adding a second hidden staff:
What if the "lyrics" (colored) staff is the under-laying one, i.e not the one with "layer with next staff" checked? The measure numbers should appear in black, am I wrong? I don't have the time to check right now, but I'm pretty sure of it.

HTH!

Reply #7
All you overlay wizards you! I bet you I could now make every word in 9 lyrics lines a different color...

The result of 5 and 6 above may be picked up here

Note that there is also a hidden non-layered staff to accomodate for the tr effect - another fine thing in NWC...

Thanks all!
Wilm

Reply #8
Well done Wilm :)
for 9 lyrics, it can be done, but you won't be able to play them one by one; at least two of them will be played simultaneously, since NWC currently allows 8 lyrics lines (at first it allowed none, then 4, now 8).
The number of colors, too, is limited to 4 (default, hl1, hl2, hl3); moreover, the colors are not included in the file, but stored in the .ini , so if you want to make them appear the same everywhere, you should "document" it in the information window :)

suggestions: for the trill, you may use MPCs instead, this can save a staff; and/or add a hidden "legato" or "tenuto" performance style, in order to avoir the "attacks" of the sound (particularly for the trill, but with MPCs the problem doesn't occur)

NWCly yours,
HTH

Reply #9
We're going slightly OT here, but this MPC thing is probably my next project. I've seen some good tutorial-style topics in this forum.

Funny thing is, I started using NWC as a support tool for my children's musical education (they're both fine, thank you), then found out that playing an instrument myself would also help, so I started (tenor) saxophone lessons 2 years ago. Now using NWC for constructing my own drills and tunes. Must not confuse the support tool with the goals though.

So "this MPC thing", will it do a trill as constructed above, i.e. alternating semitone up, except for the last trillette, semitone down then up again? Mind you, I'm not asking how, just whether...

Reply #10
Yes, mpc's can be used to do trills, but since there is a maximum of four discrete "event settings" in the mpc structure, you'd still have to repeat the mpc between tied notes. Each mpc could, for instance, do the following:
  • Set pitch bend to zero
  • Set pitch bend 1 (or two) semitones low (or high)
  • Set pitch bend to zero
  • Set pitch bend 1 (or two) semitones low (or high)
So, if mpc resolution were 1/32nd, this would essentially give two 1/16 notes, alternating. To do a continuous trill, you'd have to have a series of tied 1/8 notes, each with this mpc inbetween (absolute style).

There's a tutorial on the use of mpc's in Section 7 of the user-written and edited "NWC Command Summary", available on the Scriptorium.

Reply #11
Ok, Fred, now I know how as well :-)

But this appears to be a sound only thing. The way you describe it (tied eight notes), for the visual aspect you'd still use a (mute) staff with a half note and a tr above, right?

Reply #12
The way you describe it [tied eight notes], for the visual aspect you'd still use a [mute] staff with a half note and a tr above, right?

Precisely. :)

I've gotten to the point where I automatically create hidden-sounded and visible-muted staves for anything that's the least bit unusual. Saves frustration later.

Reply #13
For MPC on trills, you may also go to https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=2082.msg11656#msg11656 :)
Do not forget to look at the information part of the example ;-) (version 1.70)

The last trill (1 tone down, not up as indicated) shows how to use 2 MPCs for more than 4 pitch bend values. The first of the two can be duplicated, but then don't forget to modify the "initial" setting of the second (the first which is duplicated) and of the last MPCs. They both should be augmented by 4.

HTH!