Skip to main content
Topic: Staff line indentations (Read 3052 times) previous topic - next topic

Staff line indentations

Is there a way to indent a staff at the spot I choose? For the first line, I could use the system labels, but I need it indented again later on. Is this possible? Thanks.

Re: Staff line indentations

Reply #1
I suppose you mean for a coda or something like that.  What I've been doing is, at the point where I need the indentation, I add a certain number of extra clefs (number depends on how much indentation is needed) and then cover them with a few squares from a dingbat font (I think it's Wingdings), made large enough to block out the staff, and then right-justified.  The squares and the clefs are highlighted in white, and behold! a new indentation.
Another way is to create a new file from the point of the coda onwards.
I'm hoping that one of the Old Guard will reply to this post and show you (and me) a better way.

Reply #2
What I'm doing is a Theme and Variation thing for piano and I need to be able to write "Var. 1" or whatever next to it. I also need the bracket to be indented as well. I don't think that what you are talking about will do this, can it?

Reply #3
No, the bracket will get covered with the first method.  I guess I assumed it was a single-line part (violin, sax, something like that.)
The second method will work, however.  Now it's just a matter of lining up the bottom of the Theme with the top of the 1st Variation, the bottom of the 1st Variation with the top of the 2nd Variation, etc.  This can be annoying and time-consuming.
Still hoping that one of the Old Guard will show us a better way.

Reply #4
At this moment, I don't see a better way (though I wouldn't use clefs, simply a text items with spaces, preserving space, instead).

But there are two workarounds that I see:
either choose not to indent the staff, simply write in "Page title text" font the "Var. 1" at the beginning of the measure;
or create a new file, that you will print over the first one, but with a top margin set to the proper value. You can calculate this value precisely, on the printed sheet once the first theme is printed, for example. However, the subsequent pages of this new file would have the same margins, so you would need another file for next pages.

HTH!?

Reply #5
No need to touch the margins. Since this is a continuation it won't have a proper title so make that a space and set the point size of the page title text to something like 250. Then you'll get a big space on the first page, but subsequent pages will be unaffected.

Of course NWC 2.0 will solve this sort of problem, n'est ce pas?

Peter

Reply #6
Wow! Thank you!
Yes Peter, we can do it this way, but even when I don't print the title, I enter data in it, such as "Variation 1 of ...", so didn't think of it.
But I think that I'm about to change this habit, since your solution is neat! And, btw, the comments in the "info" window is there for this too... :-)
I suggest you should submit this as a tip, if not already done!

Reply #7
Yes: Wow! Thank you, Peter!
Setting a huge title font is fantastic!
Subsequent pages really are unaffected!

(I still don't like having to make a separate file for just a few measures [as in the Coda situation], though.)