Skip to main content
Topic: how do i fix a cd-rom audio disc ...? (Read 3156 times) previous topic - next topic

how do i fix a cd-rom audio disc ...?

I have a problem with a cd-rom audio disc that won't play in my regular cd player(stereo), don't really know how to get around this issue or where to start.....??
Do i need to convert into some other format in order to make it work or.....?
If so, is there any software i need.?

Re: how do i fix a cd-rom audio disc ...?

Reply #1
If you provide more information I think some positive answers can be made.
Is this a store purchased CD-ROM or is it one that you made yourself?
Store Purchased - Do you have any problems with other discs?
If you made it yourself, is it a (CD-R) or a (CD-RW)?
Older cd players do not read one or both.

Reply #2
It's like this,my step dad got a self-made(recorded) audio cd-r disc,it's possible to listen to the disc on my cu wich is purchased set from dell...
The ordinary cd player is a sony MHC-c50 5 disc system bought probably around -94,plus the cd player has been updated a couple of time's at a "sony-workshop"or something,this is for sure.
That's why i don't get it why it shouldn't play any format made on a cu...

Reply #3
Many (especially older) audio CD players won't properly play CD-R's because of their lower reflectivity. The situation is even worse with CD-RW's.

You can verify this by trying the CD-R in various other audio players, especially newer ones. If it plays in some CD players but not in others, it's not the fault of the CD itself.

Reply #4
I just found this exact model in a dumpster. I took it home and at first it wouldn't play cds at all until I took it apart and cleaned the laser. It does play cd-r disks.

Reply #5
My son had a similar problem playing CD-Rs on an old cd player, until he discovered that cds which had been written at high speeds (i.e. 48X) were incompatible, whereas if he tried writing them at lower (i.e. 12 - 16X) speeds, he had absolutely no problem reading them.

Reply #6
The problem may be the format in which the disk was created.  My CD burning software allows me several "write" options.

Track at once, leave session open
Track at once, close session and leave CD open
Track at once, close cd
Session at once
Disc at once

The help file tells me that I must close the "session" before I can play the CD on a CD player.

The person who burnt the CD for you probably left the session open.  If you have a CD burner, you should be able to burn it again, this time, closing the session.

You might try closing the session on the existing CD using your CD burner, but I'd be very cautious before deciding to do that.  A new blank only costs a dollar or two, I'd as soon try to add the songs to the new blank, and do the adjusting on it.