Skip to main content
Topic: Recording Problems (Read 6071 times) previous topic - next topic

Recording Problems

Great program so far, but I can't record yet. I have a Roland Piano and a sb16 card. When I hit record it records for about 1 second and then turns off immediately. I does seem to record whatever I play before record turns off. I can use the keyboard to 'edit' a score but this seems different since only quarter notes appear on the page.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Newbee,

Craig Davis

Re: Recording Problems

Reply #1
Craig said <<<Great program so far, but I can't record yet. I have a Roland Piano and a sb16 card. When I hit record it records for about 1 second and then turns off immediately. I does seem to record whatever I play before record turns off.>>>

Hmm. Have you got MIDI port usage (in Options) set to Always or While Active? If not, it will only read in when your playing (While Playing). That would probably give rise to the above phenomenon, though probably not the one below, so I'm not too sure.

<<<I can use the keyboard to 'edit' a score but this seems different since only quarter notes appear on the page. >>>

Don't forget the 1 to 6 keys to change the note length.

Regards, Andrew Purdam mailto:apurdam@pcug.org.au

Also at http://www.pcug.org.au/~apurdam

Reply #2
That sounds like what happens when you don't have a long enough existing score. This is the one biggest pain with the current implementation of MIDI recording: it goes only as long as the length of the existing score. If you want your imagination to run wild, you need to create a dummy score and pad it out (e.g. with rests) to as long as you think your inspiration can hold out.

- seb

Reply #3
The easiest way to start recording is to use the FIle New command. Select one of the Rhythm templates, which you can use as a metronome while you play your parts. Other settings in the Tools> Options also effect this.